two

The rain fell like tears against the windowpane, distorting the view of the city below. She stared through the streaks of water at the world surrounding her own: New York City stretched out before her like a postcard-perfect image of itself; perfect, even while glimpsed through the flawed gaze of circumstance.

She leaned her tall, lithe frame against the wall, and looked away from the window. The outside lights cast rain-patterned shadows across the floor of her hotel room. It was strange how beautiful silence could seem contrasted against the tumultuous reality of her existence.

She had been standing there too long, she knew. She should change. She should get ready for the charity event that awaited her, but motivation eluded her, and the peacefulness of the moment was too tempting to let go of.

Instead, she remained by the window, staring down at the world many stories below; at the taxicabs and neon signs; at the people concealed beneath umbrellas, and felt, as always, disconnected; felt, as always, set apart. The questions that always lingered in her mind pressed forward. The questions that hovered in the air at every interview, that punctuated every answer she gave swirled around her head with increasing urgency: How long could she keep this going? How long until she fell apart?

She sighed, her breath staining the glass for a brief instant before fading away. How long indeed.

Then came the inevitable knock, followed by the inevitable sound of the door opening behind her. Light flooded her vision, and she blinked rapidly, as her view of the City turned into a reflection of the room. She glanced at herself for half a second, just long enough to catch the glimpse of disappointment in her light blue eyes, before turning around to face her visitor .

Kai Kim stood in the doorway, his muscular frame blocking the view of the brightly lit hallway behind him. He looked model-beautiful, dressed in the black tuxedo she had picked out for him before they'd left L.A. She stifled a smile at his discomfort. "Jennie, just in case you didn't notice, the room came fully equipped with electricity." He motioned to the light switch for emphasis.

Jennie Kim leaned her back against the window. "Ha ha." She grinned at her best friend before adding, "You look great."

"I suppose I do look rather handsome," he replied, smoothing the sides of his brown hair with his hand. His dark brown eyes betrayed his pleasure at the compliment. "You owe me big time for this, regardless."

Jennie smiled, the kind of smile that she reserved for him, and him alone. If only I could fall in love with you ... and the thought made her smile flicker. She turned away from him and walked to the bed where her dress awaited. She stared at it for a long moment, as if doing so meant the same as putting it on. "Do you think they'd really miss me if I didn't show?"

"Um, please don't say you've changed your mind. I've undergone a dramatic transformation on your behalf." He motioned to his attire. "I was very happy in my track pants before you waved that black-tie invitation in my face."

"You could just as easily take it off," Jennie replied patiently.

"Are you serious?" Kai looked at her skeptically. "Or is this one of those crazy female things I don't understand? Like, you'll tell me that you don't want to go, so I'll go change, and then two seconds later you'll knock on my door wearing your diamond-studded dress and yelling that we're going to be late and it's all my fault."

Jennie arched an eyebrow.

"I know how you women work. First you confuse us, then you abuse us, and then you seduce us."

"That's very deep, Kai, but I have no desire to seduce you."

Kai narrowed his eyes. "So, you just want to confuse and abuse me? I knew it. I'm on to you, Ms. Kim, don't think I'm intimidated by your Hollywood stardom." He paused for a moment. "So ... should I change?"