forty-six

Lisa was sitting on the couch when Roseanne walked out of her room the following morning. "Tell me there's coffee," Roseanne said, on her way to the kitchen.

"It was real, wasn't it?"

Roseanne stopped and turned to face Lisa, simultaneously searching her brain for the missing pieces of the conversation. Coming up blank, she said, "What?"

Lisa stared at her from the couch and then she sighed, somewhat dramatically. "The jacket," she said, as if it were obvious.

"Is this one of those times when you decide to engage me in a random improv exercise without telling me and I spend half an hour wondering what the hell you're talking about, only to find out later you're just fucking with my head? 'Cause if it is, I don't have time today."

"I'm talking about the Chanel jacket on your bed," Lisa said. "Are you dating some sort of older, rich, power lesbian that can't be seen with you? Holy shit, is she a politician?"

Roseanne was stunned. "You got all that from a jacket?"

"Oh, my God, she's a politician? How old is she? No, scratch that, how rich is she? No, wait, how did you even meet a politician, you hate politics. Wait... too many questions... I can't focus."

Roseanne shook her head and walked the rest of the way to the kitchen to find an empty pot. "You didn't make coffee?"

"I did, but I drank it."

"The whole thing?"

"Don't change the subject! You're dating a politician!"

Roseanne expelled a breath. "I'm not dating a politician."

"Oh." Lisa sounded disappointed. "So ... what, then? Some corporate big shot? Ooh, is she like the CEO of something?"

Roseanne hated lying and sooner or later she would have to tell Lisa the truth. But now was not the time. Besides, she'd have to talk to Jennie about it. "What makes you think I'm dating anyone? Maybe I'm playing the field."

Lisa snorted. "You? Right." But she seemed to consider the idea. "Can I give you some advice, as someone who's been gay longer than you?"

Roseanne leaned against the kitchen counter and crossed her arms. "You're not gay."

"Uh, helloooooo!" Lisa held up the screenplay and waved it around. "My advice is not to settle for the first lesbian that crosses your path, okay? Sure, she might be fun for now and it's new and all that, but odds are that you'll be able to do better. I mean, look at me, I came out when I was fifteen and my first girlfriend was ... you know, ugly. And now, years later, I'm hooking up with Jennie Kim. You need a goal. Now, I'm not saying you'll ever get someone like Jennie Kim, obviously, but still, a goal is good."

Roseanne nodded slowly, buying enough time to fully process the layers of irony and nonsense. "I'll keep that in mind, thank you."

"Seriously, Rosie, who the fuck is she? You're killing me here. Give me a hint. Tell me if she's at the very least not as dull as Jungkook."

Roseanne smiled. Driving Lisa nuts gave her a strange sense of satisfaction. "I've got to get to school. I'll catch you later."

"Wait!" Lisa yelled as Roseanne started to walk away. "You'll be there tomorrow, right?"

Roseanne turned around slowly, worried suddenly. "Ah...where?"

"My scene with Jennie, we're filming it tomorrow. You'll be there, yes?"

Roseanne couldn't quite imagine anything more awkward than watching her best friend get it on with her ... Was Jennie her girlfriend? Had they established that officially? "I have class," she said.