twenty-three

"Isn't that like the tenth outfit you've tried on?" Lisa asked from the doorway. "Don't get me wrong, I totally approve of this madness, but it's very un-you-like."

Roseanne contemplated her reflection in the full-length mirror, frowning at the image before turning around. "I'm going insane. I mean, picking an outfit was easy when all I needed was something that said, 'I'm a sophisticated but modest artist.' But that was before I knew Jaehyun would be my date, and that my parents would be there. Now I need something else. Now I need something that says, 'Hey, I'm sexy, but I still don't want to date you,' to Jaehyun, and 'I'm still a good Catholic girl,' to my parents, whilst still conveying the overall artist/sophisticated/modest thing." She paused to examine the pile of clothes on her bed. "Which of those says that to you?"

Lisa frowned briefly. "You know outfits can't talk, right?"

Roseanne sighed and headed toward the closet, shedding clothes as she went. "Not helping."

"I wish I had a camcorder to capture this moment."

"I'm really glad you don't. Knowing you, you'd probably upload it to YouTube." Roseanne slipped her head into another dress, and turned toward the mirror. "Too slutty. Why are my dresses so slutty?"

"Um, those are all mine."

"That explains it."

Lisa smiled. "Spoken like a true best friend." She approached the bed and the mess of clothes thereon. She began sorting through the chaos. She picked a long skirt from the pile and threw it at Roseanne. "There's your Christian image." She threw a button-down shirt that Roseanne knew was a little too tight. "There's your sexy but off-limits." She walked to the dresser and chose a pair of earrings and a matching necklace. "And here's your artistic but sophisticated."

Roseanne frowned at the clothing. "How did you do that?"

"Magic. You can borrow my new boots. They'll go perfectly."

"I thought you were wearing them?"

"Change of plans. I have a porn star with religious and moral convictions to seduce. It's all about the boobs and the high heels tonight."

"Good luck with that."

"Thanks. I'm off to shower. Are you excited?"

"About you showering? Why, yes, my heart's aflutter."

"Har har."

Roseanne let out a breath. "My stomach's been in knots all day."

"Relax. It's going to be great. Your artwork is going to be flying off the walls."

Roseanne laughed. "At $950 a pop, I don't think so. I told the guy at the gallery that he was insane to put that price tag, but he said it was a normal amount for that sort of event."

"He should've priced them at $10,000."

"Heh. Right. Why not a million?"

Lisa grinned. "I bet someone would buy them."

"I bet someone would have to be insane." Roseanne smiled. "But thanks for the flattering comments. They do help."

"You are most welcome," Lisa said, as she walked away. "But I still think someone would buy them."

-

"I can't go," Jennie said suddenly, making both Jisoo and Kai look up from their meals. It had been at the back of her mind for days now, unclear but persistent, and now she knew: she couldn't go to Roseanne' art show. "I can't go tonight," she said again.