nine

It was raining the day Roseanne decided to visit her sister, and she almost opted to put it off for another day. She'd stood at the entrance to her apartment building, holding an umbrella over her head, watching the potholes on the road fill with soiled water. She'd considered turning back around, changing into her pajamas and spending the day making sure that the windows in her bedroom didn't leak. Then she remembered Alice's face the day she'd stormed out of her parents' apartment, and she knew she couldn't wait another day to talk to her. Already she had waited too long.

During the trip to Queens, she'd sketched the sleeping homeless man stretched out across the seats in front of her. On her way off the train, she tucked a pack of crackers under his arm, feeling sad that she didn't have anything more to give him.

The wind picked up during her walk to Alice's apartment building, making her umbrella obsolete. Trying to distract herself from the rain, she tried to think of what to say to Alice once she got to where she was going. She couldn't think of a single thing to say beyond, "I'm sorry." The possibility that he might not even be home didn't enter her mind until she was a block away.

She could have called, Roseanne knew. She could have called and done all of this over the phone. She could have saved herself the trip to Queens, saved herself the awkwardness of facing her sister almost two weeks after her announcement, but she owed her more than a phone conversation. She owed her, at the very least, a hug.

A woman and three of her children were exiting the building as Roseanne approached, and one of the kids was nice enough to hold the door open so Roseanne could sneak in. She thanked the boy with a smile, and voiced her appreciation to the mother, who seemed more irritated than pleased by her son's gallantry. Roseanne blamed it on the weather.

The umbrella left a trail of raindrops on the floor as she walked inside. It formed a puddle by her feet as she stood in front of Alice's apartment, staring nervously at the crooked black numbers on the white-painted door. She could hear music coming from the other side.

After a moment, Roseanne knocked.

The music grew louder as the door opened, and Roseanne stared stupidly at the brown eyes looking back at her. "Yes?" said a girl that Roseanne didn't recognize.

"Hi, I'm sorry, I'm looking for Alice Park." she said, wondering if she'd somehow gotten the wrong door, or if Alice had moved without telling anyone.

"And you are...?"

"Roseanne Park," she said. "I'm—"

"Oh, my God!" she shrieked, his tone rising and his demeanor changing to one of pleasant surprise. "You're Roseanne? The Rosie?" She let the door swing open and she looked Roseanne up and down. "You're even hotter than your pictures." She smiled and stretched out her hand. "I'm Hyeri."

Roseanne was certain she was missing something, but she shook her hand anyway.

"I know you have no idea who I am," she said. "But I know all about you. Come in, come in." She stepped aside. "Alice's not here right now, but you're welcome to wait for her. You're soaked. Do you want a towel or anything?" She disappeared into a room, and the music stopped abruptly.

"Ah, no, thanks. I'm okay," Roseanne said when Hyeri emerged.

"Some coffee? Tea?" Hyeri moved toward the kitchen, which was immediately to the left of the entrance. She cleared a stool by the counter, and motioned for Roseanne to take a seat. "She's going to be so happy to see you. She's been all mopey ever since he came out to your folks, and I've been telling her, 'Honey, you have to give them time. They'll come around,' and here you are, proving me right." She arched a brow, looking confused. "Did you say coffee?"