Surprise, Surprise

"I-t's a-a-a p-pretty necklace, Brook! Wh-why c-can't I k-keep it?"

"Some really evil people want it." Brook's eyes soften as she speaks to Clap.

"Don't worry! I-I can k-keep it a-a-away f-from them!" Clap straightens on her paws, eyes glimmering with excitement. Does she know what she's agreed to?

"I'm sure you ca-."

"Brook, it's the only way. I know Clap can outrun anything anyone will try to do to get it. Luke will be going with her because he knows the Guard and Soldiers better than anyone else here. The pendant will keep any would-be fatal injuries from harming Clap as well." Wolf's expression is sympathetic, but there's an edge to her voice.

"What happens if Bryant gets the pendant?"

"I-." I cut Wolf off.

"The Amethyst Throne will become nearly unbeatable. Its power now is only a portion of what it would be with the pewter pendant. It would be similar to how Wolf's Lupus constellation acts, amplifying the power of her constellations." As soon as I realize I'd interrupted Wolf, I brace myself. Don't cut off those who are more powerful than you.

"How did you know that?"

"I think I heard Bryant mention it?"

"I go with Clap or she doesn't go at all. I promised Freedom I'd protect Clap with my life, and I'm not going to break my promise." Wolf hesitates, but Brook stares her down. "I will not take any chances with the safety of Clap. I will not leave her side."

"Does it matter if Brook goes with Clap and Luke? Icarus and I can take plenty of these guys, and you've got your constellations," Seneca asks.

"I suppose. Just... You... You cannot let Bryant get the pendant." Wolf looks Brook and I each in the eye before crouching down to by eye level with Clap. "Remember to keep this necklace away from the bad guys, alright? If Brook or Luke tells you to, or if a bad guy comes up to you, I need you to run away as fast as you can, ok? It's a game of keep-away."

"Y-yeah! I'm s-s-super fast!" Clap bounces on her paws. Is Wolf really betting the safety of her pendant on this little cat?

"Indeed you are." Wolf stands up.

"Where should we head?" I can feel the snake starting to stir, but I keep it trapped in the back of my mind.

"I'd say Ragdon Volcano. Just keep moving. We'll catch up when it's safe. You 3 keep the pendant safe, and we'll keep Phoenix from reaching Bryant's castle. I'll take back Scorpius, Luke. Do you think you can control the snake?"

"Y-yeah. I won't let it get the pendant." I keep my voice steady. I can't let the snake take over and seize control. I can't.

"Very well." Wolf holds out her left arm and Scorpius begins to shimmer on her forearm. I see the scorpion remove itself from my arm and return to its place as 1 of the 13 constellations Wolf wields. It feels like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. The snake rears up, opening its mouth and baring its fangs.

"Brook, Luke, Clap, keep the pendant safe. Don't stop moving. Head for Ragdon Volcano. We'll find you when it's over." Wolf looks at each of us before we split up. Seneca throws her head up as she races forward, Icarus trailing a few paces behind her.

"Let's do this! See ya later!" Seneca shouts over her shoulder.

Tension rises in the air as Brook stares me down. "I don't care if you're the Dust Devil or not. You even look at Clap wrong, I won't hesitate to kill you."