Hey, No Hard Feelings, Alright?

The others seem to cheer. My blood runs cold. I don't know the rest of what they said, but it's not good.

Freedom said that she doesn't want to see me again, but Wolf said to keep Clap safe and the pewter pendant out of the hands of Bryant. I debate in my mind for a few minutes, ignoring the hisses snarls of the snake for me to return to Bryant and faithfully serve the Amethyst Throne. I can't, snake. I hated every second of it. I'm sorry, but I can't. Look what happened last time I carried out 1 of his wishes. "I'm sorry, Freedom, but I promised Wolf I'd keep the pewter pendant safe. I'll stay out of your way if I see you, and then it'll be like I disappeared."

I find myself walking down the slope toward the Guard and Soldiers, still not 100 percent sure what I'm going to do. 1 of the Guard claps a Soldier on the back, snickering something to him. My stomach twists. "I told you she couldn't run away!" And then it sinks through my toes. Have they gotten Clap? Do they have the pewter pendant? What about Brook? My steps pick up speed. The Guard and Soldiers haven't noticed me as I draw closer.

The snake slithers forward, snarling for destruction. You'll get some, just not what you want. "You can't get the pendant," I whisper under my breath. The snake's eyes flash, and I feel the all-too familiar ebony veins dripping from my eyes. My pupils split into a circle with a curved line underneath. Winds batter around me as I raise the dust into a storm around me.

1 of the Soldiers looks up. "Dust Devil!" The other Guard and Soldiers look up, and their faces brighten in glee.

"Hi! It is a pleasure to see you, as always, Dust Devil!"

"Do you have the pewter pendant?" I keep my voice flat, but it takes all I have not to spit the words and seethe.

"Our sincerest apologies, Dust Devil. We have not gotten the pendant. Clap is unable to run far currently, and it's just a matter of time before we separate the cat from her unicorn stepmother," the Soldier says, eyes darkening as a twisted smile pulls at his mouth. The other Guard and Soldier nod their heads, grips tightening on their weapons.

Relief seeps through me. "May we have the honor of accompanying you as you capture the pewter pendant and deliver it to My Sovereign, His Excellency, His Honor, His Highest of all Highnesses, King Garonda XIV?" I can hear the hope in the Guard's voice. Tell them. You can't keep living the lie. Tell them the truth. They'll be mad, but it's not worth the suffering. Tell them the truth, Luke. You can do it. I swallow the lump in my throat and force the fear as far down as I can reach. You have to be honest, Luke. You've already said that you don't want to be a Soldier or the Dust Devil. I know it's been your whole life, but it's not what you want. You can say it again to the Guard and Soldiers. Don't let the fear control you again. You're strong. You can say it, Luke. After several moments of working up the courage to spit it out, I take a deep breath.
"I will not be capturing the pewter pendant," I manage to say. The hopeful faces of the Guard and Soldiers turn into confused looks.

"W-wait, what? I'm sorry, could you please repeat that, Dust Devil. My most sincere apologies." A Guard frowns at me, rubbing his ears.

"I will not be capturing the pewter pendant." Every muscle is taut and my body is turned slightly to the side, weight shifted onto my left foot.

"You're not going to capture it at all?" The Soldier's voice holds a bit of judgement now. The snake foams at the mouth for the Soldier's blood when it hears the tone of the Soldier's voice.

"I will not be." Neither will you.

"Why?" My stomach sinks. Don't lie, Luke. You can do it. Don't lie. You're strong.

"I...," I swallow before mustering the courage to continue. "I do not want to be a Soldier or the Dust Devil any more." The snake roars in my mind. How could I say such traitorous words? How could I be such a coward? I had everything, and now I'm giving it all up.