Sounds Like a You Problem

I stumble back, falling to the ground. A muffled cry slips from between my gritted teeth. My sides heave with each breath, and every muscle, every cell, in my body screams. I feel like I could sleep for a month.

"Are you alright, Luke?"

"Fine. Need to... destroy th-the Throne." I roll to my side, looking up. A purple blob floats in mid air. Out of its host but still not gone from me or Bryant, and certainly not gone for good.

"That's the Amethyst Throne's power?" Phoenix snorts, rolling his eyes.

"Need... need to keep it f-from a new... host." I pant, trying to catch my breath. When I try to get to my feet, Wolf pushes on my shoulder.

"Stay down, Luke. I've got this."

"I have to sit this part out, too? What the hell, Wolf? Do you really think I'm just gonna sit back and relax when KG14 is right there?"

The snake is nearly invisible in my mind. I feel light without it. When I look up, it seems Bryant's not doing much better. He looks deathly pale, and sweat has beaded on his forehead. His hands are shaking.

"Not doing so well without the Throne's power, are you?" I murmur with a soft chuckle.

"You had the power, too."

"I never wanted it."

"Oh, if the Throne's gone..." Phoenix's eyes light up in sick glee. "In that case then... hello, former King." His flames burn bright across his pelt, and he takes slow, stalking steps toward the foot of the once-Amethyst Throne.

Bryant stares down Phoenix, who stares right back.

The King of Ragdon clenches his fists. Grey scales begin to form on his cheeks and forearms. His pupils turn to slits. Ghosts of wings form faintly over his shoulders, but his transformation stops there.

"Stop right there, black cat." Bryant's voice is deeper, and it echoes as if 2 voices were talking at the same time.

The Amethyst Throne's power glows, pulsing with purple light. Phoenix is thrown against the opposite wall as a massive chunk of the ceiling collapses. I scramble back, and Wolf uses her Gemini constellation to move us further away from the Throne. Phoenix growls as he gets to his paws.

"Really? That was dumb."

"Seneca, Icarus, Luke, get out of here." Wolf waves her hand.

"What about you and Phoenix?"

"Phoenix isn't going to leave, and the Throne can't kill me."

"The Throne won't let me leave. It's still got the snake."

So wise, Dust Devil.

Shut it.

Care to put us back? It was really quite selfish of you to remove us from our host.

No.

Say yes and you can be our new host. Unlimited power at your fingertips. You'd be the sole ruler of Ragdon. You can make the island fit your dream.

No.

Haven't you always wanted power?

No. Stop talking.

Say yes and I will.

No.

"Then get as far away as you can."

"I really wanted to kill the King." Seneca pouts before patting Icarus's wing and saying to move.

"I already called dibs long ago. He's mine. I'll kill you if you try to kill him." Phoenix flashes his fangs. His flames blaze high in the air when the Amethyst Throne's power tries to send him flying again.