What Happened to You? Was It Wolf?

"Phoenix." Bryant's eyes narrow. Purple streaks his irises.

"Hello." Phoenix smiles, but with the way his lips curl it's somewhere between a snarl and a smile.

"How'd you like the little welcome gift outside?"

"Oh, those Guard and Soldiers?"

"Yes."

"I didn't realize how little you thought of me. I didn't even have to lift a paw. Too easy. Next time give me more of a challenge, will ya?"

"I'll keep that in mind." Their words are carefully chosen, tones smooth as they engage in their dance. They wait, watching the other. Neither makes a move, and the room falls into silence.

But then Phoenix starts to snicker and he shakes his head. "Are you alright, little cat?"

"Phoenix, but yes. I'm more than alright. I appreciate your concern."

"That's great. Wouldn't want to be picking on someone too much smaller than me when I do this." Bryant lifts a hand and slams it down on the arm of the Amethyst Throne. Earth explodes up, sending clouds of dust and debris flying. I raise a palm and everything stops, hovering in the air.

How am I doing this? I've barely done anything and it's like I can do anything.

Kill Phoenix.

Shut up, snake. No.

He's threatening the Amethyst Throne. He's a THREAT! KILL HIM!

No, snake. Shut up!

KILL PHOENIX NOW!

Shut it, snake. I'm not harming Phoenix.

"I have the disease of the Amethyst Throne too, Bryant." I lower the debris harmlessly to the ground.

"Don't call it that. It's a gift! The Amethyst Throne chose you. It's an honor to get the opportunity to be a vessel for the Amethyst Throne, an outlet for its capabilities."

"It's an honor, it's a gift. Blah, blah, blah. I don't care. You're wasting your time. You're preaching to the wrong choir. It seems your little... display backfired. Hadn't seen that 1 coming." Phoenix smiles, and it's all gleaming fangs. Flames crackle across his pelt as he stalks forward.

The ridged sides of the Amethyst Throne darken, swirling with deep purples as the black cat draws near.

Kill Phoenix, Dust Devil.

Not Dust Devil. Luke.

Don't care, Dust Devil. Kill him.

Still no.

KILL HIM! The snake throws itself against the barriers surrounding it, and I stumble, falling to my knees as I grip the sides of my head. I choke on a cry of pain.

"What's going on, Dust Devil?" The snake strains to take over.

"It would seem that your disease is trying to take over Luke, not Dust Devil."

"That confidence will get you killed."

"You're thinking of arrogance. Arrogance will get you killed, not confidence. Confidence is earned."

Bryant just scoffs, rolling his eyes.

I take a deep breath as I force the snake further into my mind. It spits and hisses, telling me that Phoenix is a threat to the Amethyst Throne and must be destroyed.