I'm Almost, Like, Dying to Know!

The snake in my mind curls up, eyes glittering in a kaleidoscope of purples. Snake eyes, hiding a myriad of secrets.

Maybe if the snake could speak, I'd know what it was that I'd done wrong that caused King Garonda XIV to do this to me.

But why?

It stings. I've always done what I've been told, and more, to be the best Soldier I can. I take any job I can, staying up late if I need to make sure every 1 is done right. I put in countless extra hours to become nearly unbeatable in the sparring rings.

So what was it that I did? There's gotta be a reason why King Garonda XIV did this.

Eventually, I zone out and fall into a restless sleep.

My dreams are haunted by the snake. Purple weaves its way through the nightmare. I toss and turn as the fever twists my dreams into vivid ones that feel so real. But every time I jolt awake, chest heaving with every breath, I know they're not.

After waking up several times, I settle for just dissociating and letting the fever detach me from my body. I hover somewhere between awake and lightly dozing.

A young-looking Guard cracks open the door, sliding a tray through before quickly shutting it, never looking up. It's a simple meal. Some meat, bread, and a few vegetables. I'm assuming the leftovers based on the slightly overcooked meat, but I don't care.

I don't have the energy to care.

The tray sits untouched by the door for close to 1/2 an hour. I stare at it as I lay on my side, tangled in my sheets. I frown when my vision blurs again and the food seems to squirm on the plate.

What did I do wrong, King Garonda XIV? I wish you would've talked to me 1st, though I know talking's not your style.

Eventually, I muster up the energy and get up and bring the tray back to my bed, ignoring how my mind spins and my room seems to tilt beneath my feet. My hands tremble, but I manage to hang onto the tray.

I pick at the food. It's tasteless and I don't want to eat, but I know the chances I'll wind up feeling even worse if I don't eat are high so I manage to choke down some of it.

I take several deep breaths when nausea washes over me. In and out, Luke. In and out.

About 1/2 the food on the plate still remains when I'm done, but I don't have the energy to eat the rest. I set the tray onto the ground and curl up. Dreamland claims me a while later in a loose grasp. Dreams come and go, but none are as twisted as the ones before, though the snake with the chain body still slithers through almost all of them.

xxxx

The next morning, I wake up to the sounds of heavy footsteps outside my door.

I feel almost back to normal, except for the snake in my mind with purple reflecting off its metallic body. And the scars from the talons that had torn through my mind yesterday weighing heavily on my shoulders. I change into fresh clothes and pull on my armor overtop it, strapping on my sword once the armor is fastened into place.

The snake's eyes glitter darkly as I leave the tray of food just outside my door and walk down the hallway.

Does it know something I don't? I brush the feeling off. King Garonda XIV might've done what he did yesterday and the snake in my mind might be because of that, but he's still my King. The King of Ragdon. You don't question a King. He has your best interests at heart. You just need to trust him. It might be blind faith, but you need to trust your King. He'll do what's best for you.