Eeney Meeney Miney Mo

"Alright. So behind this door is My Sovereign, His Excellency, His Honor, His Highest of all Highnesses, King Garonda XIV. What he says is the law, so no talking back. If you put up any sort of a fight, we will restrain you. Ok?" Snappy raises an eyebrow, challenging us to speak up, but we don't reply. A flash of disappointment flickers across his eyes.

Dove starts to move after being shoved by Snappy, and they approach the double doors, closely followed by Screech. I trail a few steps behind them, choosing to break into a walk before Scorn pushes me. Just before we pass through the doors, Scorn leans in.

"It's best if you stay quiet," he whispers.

I keep my gaze straight ahead, and focus on looking bored.

Who knows if he's telling the truth or not. What would he get out of helping us? Everything someone does is for their own benefit- we're all selfish creatures.

In the center of the wall furthest from us sits a throne made of amethyst. It spreads across the floor like ooze.

Snappy, Screech, and Scorn all drop to one knee and lower their gazes to the marble at their feet. Scorn reaches up an arm to pull me to the ground, but I resist; Dove remained standing, so I'll do what he does.

"We have done as you asked, My Sovereign, My Excellency, My Honor, My Highest of all Highnesses, King Garonda XIV. We have brought Wolf and Dove to you as we promised." Snappy keeps his gaze focused on the floor as he speaks, and he gestures to us in turn with a hand.

King Garonda XIV is lounging on the throne with a leg thrown over the armrest and a pillow cradling his head on the other. He's wearing a purple suit, though a blanket has been draped over him. A golden crown embedded with amethyst gems sits atop his jet black hair. King Garonda XIV stirs from his slumber when he hears Snappy talking.

His eyes are also purple? How much purple can one handle?

When he focuses his gaze on the five of us, I can see the flecks of red in his eyes.

"Hey! How are you guys doing? I just woke up from a quick catnap, and even though I haven't slept in almost a week other than that quick catnap, I haven't felt better! You guys should really try it sometime: not sleeping for days on end. I got this awesome idea to build this huge extension to my castle... I should really do this more often. Usually I just sleep every three to four days, but this time I am going onto six. Almost a week! But back to you guys, my loyal Guard and Soldier. Why did you wait until this morning? I thought I said to have them in the cells by nightfall, and that was yesterday! What do you have to say for yourselves?" King Garonda XIV's eyes flash. 

Jeez. This is the guy who's going to be deciding our fate? He seems... I don't know. He seems, like, unstable or something. No. That's not the right word. He was, just, like, rambling on, and he switched from talking about how he hasn't slept in almost a week to shouting at Snappy.

"My Sovereign, My Excellency, My Honor, My Highest of all Highnesses, King Garonda XIV. If I may speak up," Snappy says slowly.

"Do I really want you to? Let me think. Oh! We can play a little game! But I don't really want to. Ah! The decision making! This is so hard. Fine. What are you going to say? And you'd better make it good. And don't you think I've forgotten about you, Wolf and Dove. I will get to you after I'm done with my Guard and Soldier."

"I thank you with all of my heart, My Sovereign, My Excellency, My Honor, My Highest of all Highnesses, King Garonda XIV. I was not aware that you wanted me to bring Wolf and Dove before you yesterday. I misinterpreted your instructions to mean that Wolf and Dove would be judged by your absolute fairness now. That was completely my fault, and I should never have made that mistake, but I swear upon my life that it will never happen again. I fully apologize to you, My Sovereign, My Excellency, My Honor, My Highest of all Highnesses, King Garonda XIV." Snappy bows even further to the ground, so that his forehead is almost brushing the marble.