R.I.P

"NO!" Phoenix wrestles himself free from the grip of the Soldier and streaks across the Field to his brother. The Soldier tears off most of his left ear in an effort to restrain Phoenix, but if the black cat notices, he doesn't show it. Ky gasps, stumbling back as if someone punched him in the chest.

"Phoenix... Phoenix, don't star-."

"Ky! Stop it! Don't do this," the black cat threatens. Blood flows steadily from the stump of an ear that remains.

"It's already started."

"Unsummon it or something. Don't do this, Ky!"

"I can't. See?" Ky jerks his head to his forelegs, where blood is dripping down them. There isn't a wound on his chest, but blood is turning the tan fur to a muted scarlet. How is that possible?

A murmur hums lowly as the Guard and Soldiers try to figure out what's going on. I jump, weaving through the crowd until I can get a better view of the two feline brothers. What's going on? How is... What's... What's going to happen to Ky?

The tan cat's chest, stomach, and forelegs are the same color as the red bandana tied around his neck. Ky sways a bit as he deflects Phoenix's questions.

"Ky, you gotta stay with me. I'm not losing you."

"I won't be gone. I've told you this a million times: I won't be gone; I'll just be in that place between life and death." Blood bubbles from Ky's tongue and the corner of his mouth, soaking his chin and neck as red droplets fall to the ground in little splatters.

"Yeah, but you won't be with me." Phoenix takes a quick step forward, pressing his face into his brother's shoulder. Ky stiffens for a moment before returning the gesture.

Brook shoves her way to the front of the crowd. "B-Brook!" I cry. I jump, skidding to a halt at her side.

"Clap, are you alright?"

"A-a-are you?" I eyeball the arrow that is still lodged in her shoulder.

"I'll be fine. Did anyone harm you?" She looks me over for any injuries.

"N-No. Ph-Phoenix fought them o-off. Wh-What's happening w-with K-Ky, though? Why i-is he bleeding?"

"I don't know. I'm assuming it's from when he said that he summoned the Blood Demon."

"H-he's g-gonna be ok, th-though. Right?" I frown as I watch Ky stumble and teeter. Phoenix ducks to catch and hold his brother up.

"I-I... I hope so." There's some emotion in her voice that I can't identify.

"O-ok."

The Guard and Soldiers have seemed to freeze. They're chattering amongst themselves, but none move to attack any of us again. Wolf and Dove have shifted back to their human forms. They make their way over to us.

Ky and Phoenix remain in the middle of the wobbly circle, seemingly oblivious to the rest of us.

"Should we go see if we can help?" Wolf asks Dove, tapping him on the shoulder.

"Phoenix would probably be pissed if we did," Dove murmurs in reply.

"I know... but this seems like when we found Ice. You know?"

"Yeah."

"What do you think we should do?" Wolf chews on her lip.

"I mean, it's probably worth a shot. Clap? You wanna go see if there's something we could do to help?" Dove raises an eyebrow as he speaks.

"If Clap goes, we all should go! Come on, Dove, we need to stick as a group!" Wolf glares at her brother through bright orange eyes.

"Yeah. You're right, Wolf. Let's go see if we can help." Dove shrugs.