Under The Weather (Marina)

Carina Deluca rested her forehead on the cool porcelain of the toilet bowl as the feeling of nausea took over her body. She felt like she wasn't even able to lift her head up without being sick so until Maya were to arrive home, it was where she planned to stay. 

When Carina woke up this morning, she had a little bit of a head ache but thought nothing of it, she was certain that it would pass. However to her dismay, the pain got worse and worse as the day progressed and she soon found herself almost unable to keep her eyes open as she sat at her desk. Carina was pretty good at handling a lot of things. She knew how to deal with her father and her brother, how to deal with complicated pregnancies, how to deal with cheating girlfriends. But being sick? That was something that Carina most certainly didn't deal with well. 

"Oh lord," Carina groaned as she tried to seek out her phone. She knew that she left work at around three but it was taking up too much brain power to figure out what time Maya would get home. All she knew is that she couldn't handle being hunched over the toilet for any longer. Her body felt cold although she was slightly sweaty, her mouth was incredibly dry but the mere thought of trying to consume anything made her throat constrict. 

Carina wasn't entirely sure what was wrong with her, though she had a feeling it was a bad case of the flu. As she lifted her head up, that seemed to be resembling a ton of bricks, a wave of dizziness washed over her, forcing her to just lay her head back down. She wasn't even sure if she could trust herself to stand up without falling over and whacking her head on the sink. Carina closed her eyes as she leant against the toilet, trying her best to keep her breathing steady and find the willpower to get up.

"Carina?" The OB barely opened her eyes as she could faintly hear Maya's voice. It seemed muffled though, like she was calling for her with her face buried in a pillow. Carina tried to call out for Maya but her throat felt too dry and she could feel pain shooting up her neck from where she had fallen asleep at the most awkward angle. "Carina. What-"

Maya's voice was suddenly much closer and Carina could now see her standing in the doorway. Finally. 

"I don't feel well," Carina mumbled shakily, swallowing hard as Maya crouched down in front of her and placed a hand on her forehead. 

"How long have you been here?" Maya asked quietly as she tried to guide Carina so she was sitting up, but her girlfriend just protested, trying her best to avoid any more nausea. She weakly shrugged in response and closed her eyes again, though sought out for Maya's hand, squeezing it once she found it. "You can't stay here," 

"Mhm," Carina sighed as she tried to swallow again. 

"You need some water?" Maya offered as she stroked her thumb over the back of Carina's hand. The brunette hesitated before nodding head, though when Maya made a move to stand up, she tightened the grip on her hand. "You want to come with me?"

"No..." 

"I'll be back in ten seconds," Maya said as she kissed Carina's hand then quickly went into their kitchen, returning with a bottle of water. She unscrewed the cap and brought the bottle up to Carina's lips, waiting for her to take a sip. "There we go," Maya sat down as Carina swallowed, resting her back against the bath. "Did you take a test at the hospital or anything?"

"No," Carina replied. "I just came home," She shifted slightly and managed to sit up, though she let the weight of her head hang down. 

"Just now?"

"No, as in- I just came home. I didn't check anything," Carina tried to explain as she reached for the bottle of water and took another sip. At least that felt like it was helping.