A Series of Sleepless Nights (Stefanielle)

8th February 2:00am

Stefania stirred awake as she felt something continuously hitting her arm, followed by the hushed whispers of her wife telling her to wake up. 

"Huh? What?" Stefania groaned, her eyes barely open as Danielle finally stopped hitting her. 

"My water broke," Suddenly, Stefania was fully awake. 

"What do you mean your water broke?"

"What do you mean what do you mean? My water broke!" Danielle repeated, her eyes wide as she stared at Stefania. 

"Okay.. gosh. Okay," Stefania let out a nervous sigh as she got out of bed and grabbed a pair of joggers, trying not to sound panicked. "Can you walk?" 

"Uh, yeah," Danielle replied as she placed her feet on the bedroom floor, one hand cradling her stomach and the other pressed on the bed. 

"Contractions?" Stefania asked as she threw her hair up in a messy bun and grabbed the bag they had packed especially for this occasion. 

"Bearable," Danielle said slowly. "I need to time them," She realised as she looked for her phone, wincing as she grabbed it from where it was resting on her bed night stand. "Okay, maybe not as bearable," Stefania's eyes widened slightly as she slung the bag over her shoulder and walked round to Danielle. 

"Okay. Come on then," She said, holding both hands out for Danielle to grab. She slowly stood up, eyes focused on Stefania as she let out a deep breath. "There we go," Stefania encouraged as Danielle took a few small steps. She glanced around their bedroom, made sure they had everything and were soon in the car and on the way to the hospital. 

***

"So you're telling me that I woke up at 2am for this baby to still not be out and it's almost midday?" Danielle groaned as she stared up at the bright hospital lighting. 

"Ah, this is just the beginning of a series of sleepless nights," The midwife said with a soft smile on her face. "But you're moving along nicely. I'll be back in about ten minutes," Danielle nodded her head then looked over at her wife who was half asleep in a small armchair. 

"Stefania!" Danielle hissed, making the brunette jump as she sat up straight, though her face fell when she realised nothing had changed. 

"You still haven't given birth? Who knew this took so long," She laughed softly though her wife looked far from amused. "Sorry," Stefania quickly said as she stood up and walked over to Danielle, taking her hand in her own. "Do you need anything?"

"This baby out of me," Danielle replied, as her shoulders slumped down and she squeezed Stefania's hand. "Like now,"

"You're amazing," Stefania said sincerely, pressing a kiss to Danielle's forehead and lingering slightly. "And before you know it, our little bundle of... baby will be in your arms,"

"Bundle of joy," Danielle said, even though it made her laugh, however that drastically changed when she felt another contraction strike her. Stefania bit down on her lip to stop herself from yelling out at the grip Danielle had on her hand. 

"Yep, just breathe," Stefania mumbled, though she kind of said it more for herself. The midwife walked back in and checked Danielle again, a smile on her face as she stood up. 

"It's time to push,"

***

"McKenna Lorenza Savre-Spampinato. Seven pounds, three ounces," 

Stefania rested her hand against Danielle's forehead as the midwife placed their baby in Danielle's arms, wrapped up in a stripey blanket. 

"She's perfect," Stefania whispered, kissing Danielle's cheek who looked lovingly up at her, then down at their perfect baby.