Chapter 14

MIHAIL

"Good night." I say, glancing over my shoulder to see that David is still sitting on the sofa, having not moved even an inch, his gaze far away and his face giving the impression that he's deep in thought.

The man simply nods in response, so I turn around and leave, making my way to my room slowly. I go in, closing the doors softly so as not to wake up Leo whose room is across from mine.

As soon as the lock clicks into place, I let out a big sigh, letting my head fall against the wood as I close my eyes.

I'm tired, so very tired after the day I've had and the only thing on my mind is the need to go to bed and sleep for the next century, and yet, I don't think that I could fall asleep no matter how much I wish to, my body thrumming with a strange energy, my nerves tingling as if in expectance of something that my brain hasn't registered yet.

It's all David's fault, of course.

The man is such an enigma, going from a stern, no-nonsense boss to a worried and angered father and then to someone who seems as if he wants me to be my friend, or something more, though I don't dare think about that. It makes my head spin.

And then to top it all off, he almost kisses me today. Because that's what would have happened if Leo hadn't interrupted us and just the realization of that makes me jittery throughout the rest of the day.

I couldn't stop thinking about our almost kiss after I left David by the lake. I kept imagining how it would have felt to have those lips pressed up against mine, or to have his hands travel over my body. Needless to say, I've spent a bigger part of an hour beneath a cold shower in order to cool myself off before I felt even remotely ready to join the father and son in time for dinner without ending up humiliated due to an unfortunate erection.

I don't even dare to imagine what I would've been like if David had actually kissed me, seeing as just the thought of it has turned me into a hormonal teenager who had just seen a porn movie for the first time.

I sigh once again, rolling my eyes at myself as I feel the stirrings in my lower half, not really sure if I should be angry with myself or laugh it off. It's getting quite ridiculous, these reactions my body has at just the thought of David, especially once you consider everything I've gone through.

I'm anything but innocent, my father along with the rest of the men from my past have made sure of it, and yet, every time David's nearby, I feel as if I've never been touched by another in my life.

"It's different with Jack...He, he makes me feel different. Moscow, the past, it all kind of disappears when he touches me. I don't think about it, about all those men when he kisses me. It's just the two of us in those moments, everything else disappears. I... I don't know how to explain it."

Misha's words from a months-old conversation drift through my mind, and something in my stomach flips at the thought.

Can it be?

I wonder as I stare across the room, my mind spinning with possibilities.

Then suddenly a quiet knock echoes against the door making me almost trip as I jump away from them.

With a hand pressed against my chest, I stare at the door listening for a sound from the other side, unsure if it had been just my imagination. Then the knock echoes once again, this time a bit louder.

I step closer, my hand shaking as I grab the door handle. I frown at myself for acting like a scaredy-cat as I open the door, fully expecting to find Leo on the other side, which sometimes happens if the boy has a nightmare, only to find David on the other side.