Chapter 11

DAVID

"Slowly. There you go." I say as I help my son to the bed.

"Dad, I'm fine. I broke my arm, not my leg; I can still walk." Leo says, rolling his eyes at me. I nod, smiling sheepishly.

I know that I'm probably going overboard with my worry, but I can't help it; Leo is the most important person in my life, the only thing I live for, and the accident had scared me immensely.

I'm not an idiot; I know that it's normal; just what children do. They fall and scratch or hurt themselves, and it's all part of growing up, but even as I think that something in my guts squeezes painfully at the memory of Leo in that hospital bed.

"Do you want anything? Are you hungry, or thirsty?" I ask as I tuck him in.

"Where is Mihail? I haven't seen him since the hospital, and he didn't come back with us." Leo asks, making me freeze for a second.

I glance at him to see Leo sitting up in his bed, watching me with a frown of confusion. He's unaware of what happened in the hospital since I had dragged Mihail out of the room, and so he doesn't know that I fired the young man.

I have been so angry at that moment, angry and terrified, and I've taken it all out on Mihail.

A small twinge of something that suspiciously resembles guilt echoes in my chest at the thought, but I shake my head resolutely. I've been right to be mad; Mihail was there to watch over my son, to keep him safe and he had failed. Maybe, I've been too harsh, but I will not feel guilty for it.

"He is not coming back. I fired him." I say in the end, deciding to be truthful with him.

"What!? Why!?" Leo exclaims, almost jumping out of the bed as soon as the words leave my mouth.

"Yes. It was his job to look after you and he obviously failed, so I fired him."

"But it was an accident! I slipped on ice and fell! It wasn't Mihail's fault, dad!" Leo says, his wide eyes practically swimming in devastation.

"And what if instead of your arm you've hurt your head? You could have been seriously injured, Leo and it's all his fault! He should have been there, next to you, not in the house doing God knows what!"

"But daddy, please! I like him, I don't want him to leave." Leo whines, his eyes filling with tears.

I curse silently, hating to see my son cry, but I'm adamant. Mihail is gone and he won't be coming back if I have anything to say about it.

"Enough." I say quietly, my voice hard. "The decision is final and I don't want to talk about it any longer. I'll post another ad in a few days and find someone else."

"But..."

"Enough." I say, interrupting what I know would be more whining, glaring the boy into submission.

Leo stares at me for a moment, his mouth opening as if he wants to say something but it shuts before any words come out, a betrayed look washing over his face.

He lies on the bed, turning his back to me as he does so; effectively shutting me out. I sigh, feeling guilty for yelling at him, and make one step closer, my hand rising to comfort the boy but one shake of Leo's shoulder is enough to tell me that I'm not welcome even before the boy speaks.

"I want to sleep." Leo says, his voice shaky and small, telling me that he's probably crying or about to.

I stand there for a second or two, staring at the small, shaking form of my son, my heart breaking at the sight before I turn around and leave the room, knowing very well that if I don't do so, I'll break and allow Mihail to come back just to put a smile back on my son's face.