Chapter 19

MIHAIL

People say that time goes by quicker when you are having fun, and I have to admit, though grudgingly, that it's true.

After the night of Leo's sleepover, the days seemed to rush by me, and, in the blink of an eye, it was time to go back to the city.

I know that we can't stay at the lake forever, but I still felt a bit sad as I stand in front of the house, watching the woods surrounding it, the view so beautiful with the snow covering the ground, and the sun shining through the tree branches. After the rush and hubbub of the big city, and everything that has happened before coming here, this place has proved as an oasis of sorts, quiet and peaceful.

Of course, the closeness of a certain man plays no small part in my reluctance to go back to New York, which sounds silly seeing as we also live in the same house in NY, but it somehow doesn't seem the same.

If I'm honest with myself, the truth is that I'm scared, petrified actually, of going back. These past few days have been so wonderful, between playing with Leo and spending my nights cuddled up on a sofa with David, that I fear everything would change once we get back home.

I know that nothing has to change and that it doesn't really matter the location but the people residing in it, but there is just something about the lake house that gives the illusion of a fairytale, a hidden place, a place that only resides in stories, and, as silly as it seems, I feel a bit like Cinderella, waiting for the clock to struck midnight and the illusion to shatter.

I sigh and turn away from the woods, smiling despite myself as my eyes fall on Leo. The boy is in the process of saying goodbye to his snowman, funnily named Nancy, and I have to admit that it does resemble a bit our sharp-tongued housekeeper, with the tartan apron wrapped around its waist and glasses perched onto its carrot nose.

In fact, I've sneaked out of the house last night and took a picture of it, and I can't wait to show it to the woman, looking forward to what will most certainly be an interesting reaction.

"Something funny?" a dark voice asks, making me shiver as I feel a presence behind me, so close, almost touching but not quite, David's breath hitting the side of my neck and making goosebumps spread over every inch of my skin.

I close my eyes for a moment, berating myself for reacting so silly since this is hardly the most sensual thing that the two of us have participated in. Hell, we can barely keep our hands off of each other most of the time, the only thing stopping us from doing so, Leo.

We had talked about David's son, and have decided to not tell him anything right away, seeing as this thing between us is so new and fragile, and the last thing either of us wants to do is get Leo's hopes up only to dash them if we decide that our relationship has been a mistake.

So, we keep our distance and act like nothing had changed, though we did start spending more time together, the three of us, something I absolutely love. And, at the same time, absolutely hate, because I love it so damn much.

It has been barely a few days since we established the new dynamic, and I already can't imagine my life any other way. And I'm scared of what would happen to me if our dark predictions turn to be true and everything falls apart.

I shake my head, silently answering David's question, while at the same time deciding to not think about what-ifs. Those never lead anywhere, and even if everything does turn out the way I fear, I still have time, here and now, with a wonderful man currently standing beside me, one of his hands covertly brushing against mine, and the little/big boy, playing in front of me, and I plan to make the most of it.