Chapter 4

MIHAIL

"Come in dear, come in!" Nancy exclaims as soon as she opens the front door to let me in. I so as she said, quickly, eager to get out of the harsh December wind.

It's almost time for Christmas, and it seems as if this year it will be a snowy one if the heavy, white clouds that are creeping over the sky are anything to go by.

"We were expecting you an hour ago." Mr. Cross says as soon as Nancy ushers me into the living room, his voice cold and harsh, much like the winter air outside.

He's standing by the window, his back turned to the room, while Leo sits in the same place as the day before, on the ground by the coffee table, a book once again clutched in his hands.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Cross. I had a hard time finding transportation. A friend was supposed to drive me over, but he was held back, and I had to use the bus." I apologize, embarrassed to be late on the first day of my new job.

"Let's try to not make it a habit." Mr. Cross quips, turning around and looking at me, his face a stone mask as he does so.

I nod, averting my eyes to the ground chastised, feeling like a scolded child under that heavy gaze.

"I'll show you to your room." Mr. Cross says, turning on his heel and quickly striding out of the room, not even bothering to look back to see if I follow.

I grab my bag and hurry after him, my stomach flip-flopping at the cold welcome. It's just my luck, angering my new boss mere seconds into my first day on the job.

We climb the stairs, me climbing two at a time in order not to lose sight of the man before we stop in front of a room on the first floor.

"Here it is. I hope it meets your approval." David says as he opens the door and motions for me to go in. I step in, my eyes wide like saucers as I look around the beautiful room.

Wow; I think as I glance around in wonder since the room is bigger than that dump I call my apartment.

Big, arched windows framed with dark blue curtains occupy most of one of the walls, letting a ton of light in. The biggest bed I've ever seen is at the center of the space, with what looks like a dozen pillows in various shades of blue, tossed over the white sheets, making it look like an enormous cloud. I can't wait to try it out, since I'm sure that it will feel like heaven.

The rest of the room is occupied by a big oak closet that is currently empty, waiting for my things, not that I have many, a desk and a chair in one corner of the room, and, to my surprise, a small, stone fireplace.

The room is gorgeous, dripping in luxury, just like the rest of the house, and I can't believe that I'm going to stay there. I don't deserve this.

"It's beautiful. I... wow..." I whisper, still staring in awe at the room, a big smile gracing my lips.

"Well, that's... You're welcome." the older man says, stumbling over his words as he stares at me.

"Make yourself at home, unpack if you will, lunch will be served in two hours. Is that enough time for you to settle in?" Mr. Cross asks from his place at the doorway.

I nod, snorting silently at the thought of two hours for unpacking. I have just one bag that contains all of my possessions, something that will hardly take more than half an hour to unpack.

"Did you leave your other bags downstairs or are they arriving later?" he asks once he sees the lone bag by my feet, making something in my chest clench in shame.