Chapter 8

MIHAIL

I run my fingers down the front of my new sweater, something I've been doing quite often since Christmas day while I walk through the house in search of Leo, a small smile on my face as I think about the man that has given it to me.

I've been doing that a lot lately, thinking about Mr. Cross even though I try not to. There is no point in getting my hopes up and fantasizing about a man who's so far out of my league that I can barely see him and most importantly straight. But it's proving quite hard.

He's handsome and kind even if he sometimes appears cold, and he's so good with Leo; the love he has for his son is so obvious in his every action that I can't help but swoon every time I see the two of them together. I'm crushing on the man, and hard, and I fear what would happen if the man in question finds out about it.

A tiny part of me, the hopeless romantic hidden deep inside my soul, thinks that perhaps Mr. Cross would be glad and return my feelings, but the more rational part knows that it's just a dream.

I sigh and shake my head as I enter the living room, my eyes falling on the boy sitting on the ground with a book in his lap. Though it's quite clear to me that Leo isn't actually reading it. He's staring at the pages with his eyes glazed, his mind a million miles away.

"There you are." I say as I take a seat on the ground next to Leo. The boy barely reacts, sending the smallest smile I've ever seen my way, a frown between his brows as he does so.

"Are you okay? You seem a bit sad."

Leo sets the book aside, interlocking his fingers in his lap while staring at the opposite wall as he nods, looking more world-weary than a boy of his age ever ought to be.

"You sure?" I ask, nudging his shoulder with my own as the boy so often does to me, and frowning when there is no reaction. I feel instantly worried to see the usually exuberant child looking so down so I turn around to face him.

"You know you can tell me anything, kid. Right?"

Leo nods, biting his lip as if debating if he should speak before finally looking up.

"Do you have a mom?" he asks, his voice so quiet that I have to strain myself to hear him. My eyes widen slightly once my brain processes Leo's words, the question so unexpected that I'm not sure how to react at first.

I swallow the lump that has immediately formed in my throat at the mention of my mom, my mind spinning with the memories of the emaciated, dark-haired woman that I used to call mother. I haven't seen her in years, not that I wish to; I would be quite happy if I never see a hair of her again. The wound caused by hers and my father's betrayal is still deep and gaping, and I'm not sure if it will ever heal completely.

"I... I do, but I haven't seen her in a long time. She... she left me when I was just a few years older than you." I say after a moment, unsure if I should say anything about her to Leo.

The boy is so innocent, unmarred by the horrors of the world, and I don't want to dirty him with talk of the piece of trash that is Olga Turgenev. But I also want Leo to trust me, and for that to happen, I need to trust him too.

Leo is exceedingly smart, and I'm sure that the kid would see right through me if I dare to lie or evade the truth.

Leo's eyes snap up at the words, his eyes wide and unblinking.

"She did?" he asks, surprise etched into every line of his cute face when I simply nod. He bites his bottom lip, worrying it between his teeth as he thinks about the newly acquired information.