Chapter 22

DAVID

I sit at the table of my favorite restaurant, looking at the woman sitting across from me while wondering if I'm crazy for agreeing to meet with her.

But seeing as it has already been a month since she had walked back into my life, and more importantly Leo's, I hate to admit that it's necessary. No matter my feelings on the matter, and how much I wish to be anywhere else but here, I have to at least try to get along with her, for the sake of Leo's happiness.

After all, my son deserves to have both of his parents present in his life, and if Jessica is serious about reconnecting with Leo, then I'll just have to endure.

"So..." she begins, crossing one of her long legs across the other, her expensive shirt stretching across her chest as she leans back into her chair. It's a calculated move, meant to provoke a reaction in men, or me, in this instance, and, once upon a time, it would have worked. But as I look at her, I feel nothing.

The way her body had once excited me is missing, her curves, although gorgeous, somehow in all the wrong places.

I keep imagining Mihail in her place, the boy's thin, flat chest, his powerful thighs and hard cock so much more appealing than whatever she could offer.

"How have you been?"

I blink, one of my brows rising a bit at the question.

"Fine." I simply say, the urge to roll my eyes, more powerful than ever. I know that she doesn't really care, or at least, not much, because I know her. Jessica never does or speaks anything without a reason, without a need for something, hidden between the lines.

She's wickedly smart, unabashedly calculated, and capable of doing and getting anything she wants if she puts her mind to it. It's what originally attracted me to her, but as the years went by, it became apparent that that is all that she is; a manipulative, cold bitch who only cares for herself and nothing and no one else.

"That's good." she murmurs, sitting up straighter, a small frown appearing on her pretty face at the brisk tone of my voice, before it disappears as quickly as it appeared, her face blank.

"I was thinking about picking up Leo from school today, if you don't mind, of course. I wanted to have dinner with him, which you are welcome to attend as well." she continues, one of her hands stretching across the table and covering mine.

"I want us to get along, Dave. I know that I hurt you and I'm so sorry about that. But Leo is the most important thing in this whole mess and I think that the two of us should do everything in our power to get over the past and move forward for our son's sake. Don't you?"

"I mean, we have both changed, and maybe, just maybe, if we let ourselves go, if we allowed ourselves a chance to get to know each other again, we could even learn to love each other again. I know I want that. I missed you, Sir." she purs, one of her fingers slipping underneath my shirt sleeve, skimming over the soft skin of my wrist.

The moment the word Sir crosses her lips, I snatch my hand away, a shiver running down my spine, but not in a good way. I can't help but imagine Mihail once again, his pretty, freckled face and pouty lips as he kneels in front of me and calls me that. It never fails to make me hard, the sound of that one little word so right on Mihail's lips, suddenly sounding so wrong coming from Jessica.

"No." I say after a moment, crossing my arms in front of my chest as if trying to shield myself from her advances.

"Look. I have agreed to you visiting Leo and getting to know him, and I only did that because Leo had begged me to because had it been up to me, you would have never again crossed my doorway. But that's it. That's all you are going to get from me. I don't want you, I haven't for a long, long time and that is never going to change no matter what you say or do. Us? There is no 'us' Jessica. Make sure to remember that."