Memento

"Four fucking days?" Flip said as he slammed the stack of papers on his desk. "Is that really necessary?"

"Apparently." Ron responded, "But the department must have gotten a really good lead on this mafia leader if they want us undercover."

"I hope so. I actually have people to come home to now."

"It isn't like we will be interacting with them," Ron said reassuringly. "It's just to observe."

"Sounds boring AND dangerous." Flip said spinning his chair to face Ron. "Got our names written all over it."

Flip would be lying to himself if he said he wasn't nervous to go on this sting. Yes, it was a part of the job, and he did love his job. It's just, things had finally started to settle down and feel normal. The end goal would always be to try and avoid conflict, get the info they needed, and get the fuck out. But could he promise that? Of course not. He had seen simple assignments go south more than once and this time he didn't just have to prepare himself.

"It's the first time you'll be away from her. You gonna be good?" Ron asked.

"I'll be fine. We've pretty much taken all the precautions we can when it comes to Nolan. Plus, it's not like she will truly be alone."

"True. Now, the bigger question. You think she'll be good?"

"She doesn't want to live in fear Ron, and she knows what this job entails. Might not agree with everything, but she's supportive." Flip explained rubbing his hands along his jeans.

"Takes a special girl to date one of us." Ron laughed, "You would do well to keep her around."

"That's the plan."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We will be fine, Flip. It's just a few days." Kelsey said as she was cooking dinner. "I honestly think you're more nervous about this than I am."

Flip stood up and walked up behind her, snaking his arms around her waist.

"Maybe I am." He stated in a matter-of-fact tone. "Maybe it's gonna kill me that I won't be a phone call away."

"Oh, you poor thing. What will you ever do without me for four days?"

Kelsey turned and gave him a peck on the cheek.

"Seriously though, is there anything you can think of that needs to be done before I leave tomorrow? I want you to feel safe and protected when I'm not here."

Kelsey moved away from the stove and leaned up against the counter.

"Look at me." Flip slowly brought his eyes up to meet hers. "Everyone in this house will be perfectly fine. You have made sure of that. Now instead of worrying about us, I need you to start thinking about how you make sure that you stay safe. I won't be able to save your ass." Kelsey started with a wink.

Flip let out a laugh.

"These next four days will go by fast. You'll see."

"Stay tonight." Kelsey asked, "Please. I would really like it if you did."

"I have to be gone early. I don't want to wake you, or little man up."

"Flip. Please."

God, those eyes. How could he ever say 'no' to those eyes? It was like they pierced his soul. Kelsey's voice pulled him from his trance.

"I have work in the morning with Zoey anyway and Amy is taking Noah to the park. I'll most likely already be awake."

"Ok."