XVII

Anna

Thomas's grin was still fastened onto his face by the time he finished recounting the time he spent making the banner. "To kill a king is the plan I have been working on since my induction into the palace" There was a sense of pride in his voice as he narrated the memory, running a lazy finger against each sketch on the banner. "The King must pay for his insolence." he cursed, turning to face me. "Remember I told you one day I would tell you how I came to be a taster for the king?"

"Yes..."I made are to limit my words, only allowing him to speak. I was interested in his story.

"Well, once upon a time; I tried to kill the king"

"No Thomas not you! You are so young and innocent"

"Innocent? That is the last word I would use to describe myself Anna" he teased with a flicker of sin in his eyes. "I plotted to kill him not too long ago only, I was framed."

"By who?"

"I suspect someone close to the king. Remember, many people are out to kill him. Even those in his closest circle. I had the seating planned. The perfect plan to kill him. It was foolproof but then.." his voice trailed off. He looked off to the distance, too moved to finish his story. The glimmer of the afternoon sun hit his striking green orbs making him look almost godlike.

"I am sorry Thomas

"I am sorry Thomas." It was the only phrase I could gather.

"Do not be Anna, for that is the cruel game we call fate." he shrugged, sitting near the hay closest to my feet. I plopped next to him, resting my elbows against my knees.

"So now what?" I sighed, pursing my lips to think. He smiled again, shooting up and running to dig for a journal hidden behind a barrel of hay. He held it up before opening its binding and pulled out a thin sheet from the middle.

He fastens it to the middle of the banner and snaps.
It was a sketch of me.

"You are the missing antidote for the success of my plan. You must kill him Anna" Thomas says, stepping close to face me.

I stared at him wondering if I should tell him my own truth?

He had told me so much...

" I thought maybe I was crazy using you as an influence. I told myself, no, I convinced myself you would never do it...but then I saw the blood on your body that night. You were not frightened. You did not even flinch at the gore" he nodded, making sure he was clear with each word. I studied his features before looking up at his pretty curls.

"Thomas...don't tell me you are set on killing him?"

"I am? And you will be the one to help me" Perhaps he was a bit too optimistic? Why did he think I would be so eager to aid him in his scheme. Just because I had blood on my body?