40

Thayne

It was the longest day in court.
14 hours to be exact.
The first three was for show.
The next three for laws and customs to vote upon.
The next 4 hours was for men who decided they wanted to be the loudest in the room.
And the last 4 were for stamina. The court wished to see who would last the longest. It showed the peoples test of faith and a new "lady of high court" was crowned. I knew this was the unspoken title Anna so desperately craved.

The women were accustomed to it. Anna was accustomed but I was still a bit worried as she was the newest addition to the court. But how Anna maneuvered made me even look back with awe.

The court was dismissed for another quick break. The king was on his way to her, determined to speak to her but she pretended not to see him. Her servants fussed over her instead and blocked his path. By the time she was finished refreshing, the break was over and he was forced to retreat.

And the high court continued on like this. It was a dance of some sort. A high court marshal would declare a law and someone would support it, then arguments would ensue and so on.

It was the final hour of court and many of the lady and men had already excused themselves. Even Henry's new flame Lillian retired at the 7th hour. It wasn't mandatory to stay the whole 14 hours but usually those who did stay were looked favorably by the people.

Lady Anna refused to leave and remained stagnant in her pew. She pretended to look past Henry but both Henry's eyes blared into hers.

"And that is the final hour of court!" A high court judge declared.
Henry zipped to meet Anna, his mind only focused on one thing.

Before Henry could meet her she staggered back, holding her forehead with pain. He ladies of court fussed over her body, forcing her to drink water and eat but she refused it all.

"I'm fine. I'm fine" she assured them.
This was the part that one would miss if they though of Anna as unsuspecting. Her brown eyes peered to the left were Henry approached and in an instant, she faints.

Just before she could hit the ground Henry lunges and catches her in his arms

"Water! Quick get her water." He barks his order.
It took a couple of people but she came to and opened her eyes.

"My king?" I could read her lips in the distance. "What happened?"

He smiled, pushing a curl behind her ear. "Nothing thorn. Nothing at all." He beamed with pride.

I watched from a distance, of course, admiring her every move. Her perseverance and strength reigned successful. She had the king's attention.

It had been a long day and I was tired. I would have to leave quickly lest I get discovered.
It was time to make myself known to the newly branded "Lady of High Court"