31

Loosely edited!

Anna

"So the pies, crumpets, and biscuits go here. The round fruits over there" Catherine points to end of the long dining table where the banquet would be held. Catherine had been promoted to head of kitchen production. She was in charge of the dishes, the seating, the menu, and plating.
It was a coveted position, risky but still rewarding.
One wrong move and it could be her head.

"What is this banquet for anyways." I ask, picking at a small pile of crusted tarts. Thomas sat nearby, sketching away in his notebook as I picked at the crust.

"The king is announcing his engagement" Catherine hesitated once she saw my pout, understanding my blindness to the news.

"Engagement?"  I ask, making sure I heard her right.
Catherine looks at me then frowns. "I am sorry Anna. I thought he would have told you. Now that I say it aloud..I see how foolish it was that he would. " she blushed red. What a faithful friend she was.

"It seems the king has neglected to tell you something so important" Thomas quipped, smiling behind his book.

I close the cover of his book on his hand then turn back to Catherine. It was strange that he hadn't told me but I knew it was purposely done. The reason why?
My anger.
It was lethal and Henry knew it.

"Do not fret Anna. Maybe he did it for your protection. Alas, we are doing dinner service tonight so everything must be perfect from the tasters to the helpers."

I nod.
Catherine was in charge of prepping it. I had double duty, tasting the king's food and serving it.

I bid Catherine my goodbye so I could bathe and get dressed for the banquet. Henry had insisted I wear the dark purple dress he had tailored for me.
I didn't understand why he wanted me to be the center of attention for his fiancé engagement. He hadn't even clued me in.

As I am taking a secret path to check on my garden I see Thomas Cromwell and Jane whispering in the shadows.
What were those two up to?
Thayne warned me of their earlier conversation but a second meeting between the two of them was downright suspicious. My feet race down the legnth of the hallway to listen in.

"You paid the servant off?" Jane asks in a hushed tone.

"Yes. He said he would do it for a mere 7 shillings" They both laugh carelessly.

"The posion is going in her plate. She will eat it and die before the king can even sample it."

"Perfect" Jane smiles. They make haste to break away, quickly going their separate ways.

So this is what they were planning?
The blood from my face rushes to my stomach as the realization comes to my psyche.
Poison! In my food?!
So that wretched hag was trying to kill me? Before I had the chance to eliminate her?
I was offended!
Enraged.

Their conversation was timed inconveniently. The banquet would start soon which meant I wouldn't have time to tell Henry.

I needed a plan to save my life and avert the poison onto someone else, but who?
I had to be quick!

Think Anna.
Think.

——-