39

Thayne

It had been two months since I had last stepped foot in England. Venturing into the palace proved difficult, especially with the disguise I took on. A long black cloak with a deep hood adorned my figure. I made sure to blend in with the crowd of people as they trickled through the gates. Covering my face was the most important aspect of my mission.

It was Anna's second month in the high court of England and there was already a buzz amongst the people. She had grown quite popular amongst high society, so much so that word had traveled to the little enclave I had been housed in 80 miles south.

A bounty of spectators tiptoed into the palace to peek through the grand wooden doors of the high court. Of course, commoners like us were prohibited from seeing inside. 

"Where is she?"  A giant woman asks, claiming over her friend for a better peak through the doors.

"Who?"

"Anne?"

"No, her name is Anna!" 

"Bless me! I heard she is the spitting image of the Boylen girl!"

The ladies gossiped a bit more before being shooed away by the army of palace guards. I thanked my strict upbringing for the secret interiors of the palace I had mapped when I was younger and easily found my way into the highest point of the high court.

Although Henery was perched high on his throne, there was still a sense of expectation in the air. It seemed as though the royal court was holding its breath for a higher-ranking official to arrive. But? Surely it couldn't be Anne?

The heavy doors of the room slammed open and she walked in as if she was the queen herself.   Each step was filled with purpose. Pride. Valor. 

She stole my breath in an instant. 

A rich, red velvet dress with an exceedingly tight bodice hugged her figure. She knew the rules of high society. She had perfected each law but this? It was a direct defiance of the customs of the court. She was purposely defiant and it made Henry seethe. 

Each head-nod was rehearsed and each wave perfected. She was the king's taster no more! Instead, she was the most coveted handmaiden in the land. She had climbed the ranks quickly. The men stood at attention as she passed by their pews. The woman covered their faces with their fans in jealousy. All eyes were on the woman named Anne but that is all the people could do. Look. 

She was the king's prized possession and the king's only. Henry lifted an eyebrow when she passed him; his interest in her was once dwindling but today? I saw the spark in his eyes reignite.

She was his thorn.

She sat tall, scanning the room as if she was inconvenienced by the nominal occasion before looking down. A lady must not show too much interest in court affairs. It was best she take a neutral stance when it came to affairs of the kingdom.

Anne proceeds to pull out her dark blue fan, snapping it open and purposely making an excessive sound. All eyes snapped to her figure instead of the priest that currently had the floor. He was arguing about overturning a law of the land or something. 

 I could see Jane Seymour fume from across the room. She was in her very position just a mere months ago.

For two hours we held court and Anna did not falter. She held her head high, looking only when looked at and giggling at the appropriate times. Henry was distracted by her the whole time, sneaking glances as she looked straight. The court broke and Henry zipped past the crowds to greet her but she made herself scarce, holding her fan and waving violently before retreating to her quarters. She would not entertain him...not yet.

Anna had done well but I knew better than to doubt her. Of course, she would rise to the occasion and surpass her stations. She had captured the attention of the king once so this was a mundane task compared to that. 

The men and women slowly trickled out, gossiping about the happenings of the court and a woman named Lillian. 

"Who is this Lillian girl?" I disguised my voice so no one would catch my disguise.  The woman turned to face me and smiled.

"Oh! Bless her! She is the redhead standing as lost as an innocent doe." The woman points. I look to her and instantly see her appeal. She was Henry's type to a fault. Thick luscious red hair and skin as pale as snow. "Usually the King chases her after court but it seems as if Lady Anna has caught his eye"

"I see" I hum before bowing my head and departing back into the shadows. Tomorrow was Saturday which was usually the longest day in the high court. That would truly be Anna's true test of strength. I was curious to see what tricks she had up her sleeve to grab the king's attention.