XXVII

Anna

What a perfect plan it was.
Henry arranged the venue.
The meeting.
The plot.

All I had to do was come in, taste the wine, slip the poison in while Henry distracted the Pope and leave.
We had rehearsed it fifteen times. A sixteenth time for good measure.
I was dressed and ready to go in an hour.

Henry went down to Pope Clement's room to ease him up.

——

Thayne

It was a few minutes past midnight. I couldn't get a wink of sleep so I decided instead to take a stroll around the castle. I enjoyed the solitude I had as the night crept away. 

My eyes lift to the movement in the far distance. I see Anna creeping in the hallway just across the wing of the Pope. I wouldn't have thought it suspicious if I hadn't seen Henry entering a few minutes before her.
What business did she have here?

I must say she did look good pacing the hallway. She looked nervous almost stressful for something soon to come. 

I stepped behind each plant, trying my best to remain hidden. She pulled something out her bosoms, looking down to her palm before holding it tight.

Anna

I couldn't believe I had agreed to assist Henry in killing the Pope. An assignment that was once for Henry now shifted to the Pope?

What happened if someone discovered us? Henry would face no repercussions as king but as for me? I was bare...unprotected. I would perish.

"What is this?" I hear Thaynes voice behind me. I shove the vial into my cloak, calmly turning around to face him.

"Nothing..." I whispered. He presses me against the wall, running a finger against my neck.

"Show me" his smile was daring, enchanting almost.

"Or what?" I teased. He looked into my eyes before chuckling and pulling away.

"Fine. Suit yourself Anna. I just know lingering in a empty hallway in the dead of night will not be favorable upon any person who sees it"

"Really, and what is your reason Thayne?"

He shrugged, gently running a hand through his dark brown curls. "Just a hunch" he shrugged.

Henry soon comes out and smiles, his eyes looked crazed. His frown quickly disappears as he laid eyes on Thayne.

"What are you doing here!" He fumed.

"I could say the same for you brother" Thayne leans his shoulder against the wall. He was the perfect picture of calm. Henry walked and sized him up.

"Henry..." I snapped reminding him to bury the disdain he had for his brother. He could tackle this another time.

"Come on" Henry grabbed my waist, intertwining his hand with mine. "We must go before..." he cuts off his speech.

"Henry... what about the..." I make him feel the vial.

"Goodbye Thayne." He says before leading me away.

"Henry! The plan?" I curse, looking back at the Pope's empty quarters.

"No need for it. I used other means. Come on" he led me through a secret hallway that was built within the walls. It twisted and turned every which way.

"Henry!
Henry!" He continued to ignore me, lifting a handle of fire from the wall.

He ignored me the whole time until we came to his quarters.