Chapter 3

Previously on 'A Starlit Gaze'...Nagisa grew impatient and brought his fist to knock on the door. He knocked once, no response. He knocked again, and again, and again. "Jataro, it's Nozomi and Nagisa!" Nagisa shouted at the door. 

"Soon may the Welllerman come, to bring us sugar and tea and rum!" Kotoko hummed while trying to decide what to have for dinner while Monaca was filling up the glasses with water.

"That's a nice song Kotoko!" Monaca complimented her whilst trying to imitate the song in hums.

"Why, thank you! You're humming it well too!" She returned the nice gesture with a kind smile. Monaca nodded with an even brighter smile. 

"Isn't Nozomi taking too long? I hope she's okay..." Kotoko pondered aloud, which Monaca heard. "I'm sure she's fine! No need to worry!" Trying to shift the attention away from the new member, Monaca 'accidentally' pushed a glass she previously filled with water down on the floor, making it shatter in pieces. The noise from the impact echoed throughout the building. 

***

"Did you hear something?" Nozomi asked with a concerned look on her face. They had waited outside of Jataro's room, knocking until they decided he wasn't there. The pair was now roaming around hopelessly in search of the boy. Nagisa shook his head to answer her question. 

He stopped in his tracks as he seemed to have had a 'eureka' moment just now. His eyes widened but then returned to his relaxed expression immediately after. Just as Nozomi was about to inquire about what was wrong, he turned sharply to his right, "Where are you going?" She picked up the pace by jogging until she caught up to him. "We never checked outside of the building, did we?" 

"Nope." She emphasized the 'p'. They reached a sliding door, which Nozomi assumed led to a backyard. "Do you need some time to examine this door too, Miss Door Fanatic?" He sarcastically smiled. 

"Come on, we both know this is one hell of a basic door."

"Hey, I'm not the one reading the weekly print of 'Doors For Poors' I wouldn't know what you call a basic door." He used air quotes.

"Hmph." She lacked a response so she simply huffed and opened the sliding door.

They saw Jataro talking with someone with uncouthly ruffled-up white hair. Surely he couldn't be a grandpa, he seemed too young for that but older than them nonetheless. "Who's that?" Nozomi asked. Nagisa shushed her and motioned for her to hide. They were watching their conversation from behind a big lawn chair. They couldn't make out the gist of the conversation but the words 'Hope', 'Better' and 'Despair', were thrown around often. "Do you know him?" Nagisa inquired her with a quizzical expression. "No, dumbass that's why I was asking you." 

He was shocked, to say the least at what she just called him. His eyes widened. He furrowed his brows as he started his rebuttal, raising his voice, "Excuse me?! I'll have you know that-"

"Oh, my, looks like we have some guests." A mysterious voice interrupted Nagisa.

Nozomi nudged Nagisa, shooting him an accusatory glance. "You go!" She whisper-yelled.

"Wha-? No! You go!"

"It was your idea to search here, so you go!"

"Ugh let's both go." He looked away from Nozomi so he can approach the voice but it looks like they beat him to it.

"Hello!" A white-haired boy greeted Nagisa, inches away from his face.

Nagisa let out a squeal as he backed away immediately, bumping into Nozomi. She winced slightly but stood up. "Hey." She greeted the boy back.

"Didn't anybody teach you kids that eaves-dropping is impolite?" His tone was slightly menacing but he had a polite smile on his face. "H-hey! Stop that... don't intimidate them." Jataro mumbled. He was tugging at the older boy's sleeve.

Nozomi looked back at Nagisa who was crouching behind her, clearing his throat. "Scared?" She teased him and looked back at Jataro as Nagisa's face was tainted red from embarrassment. "Hey! We were searching for you!" She pointed to the boy with the mask.

"H-huh? W-what f-for?" His tone was laced with fear and uncertainty as if he thought he was in trouble.

The older boy whispered something in Jataro's ear and left, giving the other two a smile.

"Who was that?" Nagisa got up, dusting his clothes as he spoke with utmost confidence. As if he didn't chicken out earlier.

"Nobody." He bluntly responded. "I wanted to ask you if you can help with cooking tonight?" Nozomi knew that he clearly didn't want to discuss who he was talking to so she got the topic back on track.

"Cooking? Me? W-why do you want to cook with me? Do you want to pour boiling hot water on my skin, that would be nice, I want-" 

"Huh? No, no! I want to cook with you because I think cooking is fun and I want to have fun with you! You're my friend after all!" Nagisa nodded, agreeing with Nozomi.

"That's true, we're all friends." Nagisa smiled slightly at Jataro. 

"It would also be a great opportunity to get to know each-other more don't you think?" She cheerfully poked Jataro's shoulder softly.

"Y-yeah I guess..." He smiled somewhat at the thought of someone willingly spending time with him.

"I'll drop you off at the kitchen and make sure nothing goes wrong." Nagisa walked inside the building and towards the kitchen with Nozomi and Jataro tagging along behind him. "So, what do you guys plan to do?" Nozomi started the conversation, glancing at Jataro and Nagisa.

"Cook dinner, right?" Jataro spoke up in confusion.

"No, I mean yeah but I was talking about the Warrior's Of Hope."

"We're going to let loose some Monokumas out in the wild and then hijack a broadcasting news channel to announce our revolt." Nagisa replied without looking back.

"...And when is this going to happen?" 

"Tomorrow." Jataro answered.

"You're going to be in charge of standing around and admiring doors." Nagisa teased.

"He means that you're going to watch out for any demons that will interrupt our broadcast." Jataro chimed in.

"Feel free to kill them." 

"Isn't that Kotoko's job? Wait but most importantly, you're going to hijack a news channel?"

"Yep."

"With Mono comas?"

"No not comas, kumas, like bears." Nagisa clarified.

"When were you going to tell me about this?"

"I just did."

"No that doesn't count, I asked you. Would you have told me otherwise?"

"Probably not I was going to just leave you here and- Of course, I would have." He rolled his eyes. 

"Yeah whe-"

"It's okay now, isn't it? You know now." Jataro stopped their bickering confidently.

she huffed and punched Nagisa's back softly. 

---

(A/N) I FINALLY POSTED I SWEAR I'LL POST MORE 

How was this chapter :0 did you like it? I'd love to chat with you all and know your thoughts!

Stay safe and take care!!