The Current Feud Between Me And Romance

Most of you would be thinking what a weird title for a chapter and I agree, it truly is a strange title but nothing better than this to explain the current scenario.

Writer me is a helpless romantic so obviously almost all of my fanfics are love stories or featuring romance as a secondary theme or whatever but these days it seems I am at war with romance.

Like of course I don't want to stop writing romance altogether, I just feel like I have shut myself into one category and that is not okay. When I started writing, there was one goal I had in mind; to be a very versatile writer focusing on diverse themes.

And I try to achieve that goal by writing about different topics, different themes, different characters (or sometimes different versions of the same character) etc but lately I have been feeling that every single fanfic of mine is falling more into the romance genre and I am stumped.

Like there are exceptions with Sugarcoated Chillies | B. Gordon (as it was not a conventional love story), Intoxicated Desires | T. Al Ghul (because it's way too dark to be considered a romance), Clown Prince and Crown Prince | T. Drake (same reason as the previous one) but other than that most of my stories are focusing on love as a primary theme.

I am not denying that it is not an important aspect of story telling but I want to break the norm here. In other words, I am trying to branch out of writing love stories.

I want to see if I can write without putting a focus on a relationship between OC and canon character, kinda like I want to see where it goes if I focus on platonic relationships instead. So far, Falsetto | T. Drake is the fanfic I am taking to try myself out with not making it into a love story.

It features our very lovable Tim Drake and an OC Reece Parker (who are not going to be romantically involved) and the story is going to focus more on their platonic relationship and their character development with respect to each other.

I am excited to start working on it but will have to wait till 19th of February because that's the day my exams will finally end and I will get a semester break. Trust me, semester break is that time of the year which I want to stick around for very long because I get to write a lot in it. And even now I can't wait for it to come.

Anyhow, what are your opinions?

Do you guys prefer writing love stories or are sometimes at feud with romance (just like I am currently)?