The Spread

My story behind on May twentieth. I arrived home from school and work to find my mother and sister packing up our essentials. This confused me, but I went along with it. After some time packing and loading up my truck, I finally got some answers. On the last trip out, I saw someone having trouble walking and they were moaning in pain. I started toward them. The gunshot I heard next made me duck. I turned and saw my mother come running out. She shoves me into my truck. Riley, my little sister, gets into the back and my mother takes off.

"What the hell was that?" I demanded of her.

"That thing was going to kill you. Some scientist was doing a genetic experiment on prolonging life. Someone from here volunteered and got it done to them. The experiment went wrong. It turns people into... Well basically, the living dead. We are leaving the city because I can't risk loosing you or Riley." She told me.

"Living dead? Is this your idea of a prank? I mean come on this can't be real." I said in disbelief.

My mother flipped on the radio and I heard it then.

"The scientist that performed the experiment said he missed something in his test runs and that is the cause of this... I don't know what to call it. We have reports from Austin, Texas, Miami, Florida, Battle Creek, Michigan, and New York, New York, that these people are dangerous. They will attack anyone and anything. Please be safe and avoid these people. It is unsure if there is a cute for this yet. We do lot know more as of how, we will keep in contact with you as we gather information." The radio host had said.

"Experiment? Alisas father was a part of an experiment a few weeks back. Surely this couldn't be him." I told my mother.

"I don't know. I am worried about getting out of here." She said in a wish.

I sat back and watched as the city I knew fell behind us and my mother kept driving. My phone had rung and it had caused us all to jump.

"Hello?" I asked as I answered the phone.

"Oh, Thank God you answered. Bryan and I went by your house and yall were gone. Jupiter, I watches my daddy attack my momma. He killed her. He ropes her throat out with his teeth and he started eating her. Bryan and I are heading out of town. Maybe we can meet somewhere." She said in a rush.

"Can we stop and wait for Alisa and Bryan. Her dad..." I leaned into my mothers eat, "Killed their mom."

"We are outside of Augusta." She said into the phone and Alisa agreed and I hung up.

We parked at a gas station and filled up all of the gas cans we had and wait. She finally pulled up and we load their things into my truck and get them in as well. I took off the way my mother was headed. Once we were out of Augusta, I saw a bunch of people like the one my mother killed. She gasped and ordered the children onto the floor. I continued driving as my mother was shooting. Finally we busted through the pack and I kept driving.

"Alisa can you shoot?" My mother asked her.

"Some, not very good. Jupiter was teaching me." Alisa told my mother.

My mother handed her a gun. "Shoot for the head. Remain calm and try not to waste any ammo."

Alisa nodded and my mother places a gun in my lap.

"We just received work from the cities I names earlier that more and more people are ending up like the people of the experiment. This means they are contagious. We are asking everyone to remain calm. The CDC is sending units to those cities to gather these people. Remain in your homes and lock the doors." The radio host said, "If anyone sees these people anywhere, call us here at WKBT and we will inform the CDC."