Alisa

I woke up feeling no pain in my body. I didn't feel any aches from sleep like I had normally felt. I didn't even wake feeling sick. Kade was still asleep in the large bed we had been give. It was nice to sleep well on a bed instead of a floor or in a car. I sat up and looked around the room. It was all white and fairly large. The bed took up most of the space but there was a deal, a dresser, and a gun cabinet for our weapons. I must admit I didn't store my weapons. I slept with it, like I always did. When I moved to get out of bed, Kade had woken up. He smiled at me as he too got out of bed.

"Where are you off to?" He asked me.

"Off to check on Alisa. Im worried about her." I said.

"I'll go with you. How are you feeling?"

"Health wide, great. But physically, I feel dirty. We don't have any clothes. We left them all behind."

"Not true, we all had bags in your truck just in case of an attack from Trevor or something. David brought them inside last night while you slept. I took the liberty to unpack them."

I smiled at him and moved to the dresser. In the top two drawers, my close were folded and looked nice. The bottom two held his. I grabbed jeans and a tank top and went to the bathroom for a quick shower. I cleaned myself fast and got dressed. Kade was dressed and waiting for me with a bottlenose water, one of the pills Phil had suggested I take and a slice of toast. I took the pull and are the toast before we headed down to the first floor to check on Alisa.

"She's not down there anymore. She's up on the fifth floor. Where the real lab in. The one down there is used for the zombies." He said, "I talked to him a while last night."

I followed him up the stairs and to the fifth floor. It looked a lot like the first floor only with more metal doors and more security measures. Phil saw us and opened the door for us.

"How is she?" I asked him.

"Well not showing much progress. The fever has broke but she's having nightmares. Now I don't know what that means but I can only assume if the cure is working it's doing so slowly. Does she have any medical conditions?" Phil asked us.

I took a moment to think and said, "Yes, she has a bleeding disorder. Her blood clots too much. But since this has been happening, she hasn't had the medicine that thins her blood."

"That could be the issue. If it ha, I fear we can't do anything but try a blood transfusion. What's her blood type?" He asked as he led us to her room.

"A B positive." I said, "She told me once so I could know in case something happened."

He nodded and moved around the room gathering things. I watched the way he worked in awe. He really did want to save Alisa. Kade pulled a chair over to me and insisted I sit down.

"Jupiter, come over here and hold her hand. Let her know your here. She is under a sedative until I know if the cure takes hold. This way she doesn't feel pain." He said.

Kade pushed me in the chair over to Alisa and I took her hand. She felt cold and not like her normal self. Her hand was turning slightly grey and it worried me. My mother and Terry had turned grey before they changed. Phil had gathered everything and started the machine to draw her blood out and filter it. I hoped this worked. As the machine started I watched as her color change. The pennines of her skin turned pale and the grey looked even more grey. Kade was beside me the whole time. Phil worked for over an hour with the machine before turning it off and removing it. He gave her another shot and sat down to clean the machine.

"I don't know if it's too late, but at least I tried. I should have asked for her medical information last night, I just assumed she was healthy and could take the cure like the rest had." He said.

"What happened to the ones you cured?" Kade asked.

Phil turned around and said, "They were military and a group that had found us, they all took well to the cure if they had been scratched but eventually they got but, while out working the woods for meat. They all relied on the cure to be able to save them but it didn't." Phil said.

"How long before we see a change in her?" I asked.

"To be honest, we should have seen one by now. I think we didn't fix her fast enough. Her color is graying out. She won't last until nightfall." He said, "If you want you can leave. I will be sure she doesn't feel anything and I won't let her turn."

"I can't leave her. It's my fault she got hurt. It's all my fault." I said.

Neither if them said anything. I heard Kade leave. It didn't bother me that he didn't want to stay with me. I didn't expect him to. As I sat there holding her hand, she became even colder and more grey. I couldn't help but feel pains when get breathing stopped. Phil came forward with a needle and jabbed it in the base of her skull and into her brain. I was numb. As he called for the guards to come bury her, I just sat there. She was really gone and the cure had failed. She would have lived if I had told him about her condition. She wouldn't have died. I sat in the chair and just stared at the bed she had laid on. She wasn't there but in my mind I could still see her smiling face. She would always smile when we talked about graduation and going to college. She was always happy, even when her parents had divorced and her father left. She never let anyone see her cry. She was my best friend. The only one who knew that I wasn't happy. The only one who knew I had considered suicide the year my parents had divorced. She had talked me out of it. I would always owe her. Now I had failed her and I felt that much more in her debt. I felt a hand on my shoulder and I looked up. It was Phil. He was speaking but I didn't hear him. He put a blood pressure cuff on my arm and began taking my pressure. I watches him write something down and then he helped me stand and I allowed him to lead me into the hall and into a room.

"Jupiter? Are you feeling okay?" He asked.

"I am, sorry. I just can't believe she's gone." I said.

"Your pressure is a tad but high. I want you to relax with a book or watch a movie that isn't emotional and I'll come down and take it again in a few hours." He said, "I've called down and told them to prepare a space for you. They are waiting on you."

I stood and walked from the room toward the stairs. I slowly made my way down to our floor and when I entered, Kade and David were right there to carry me to a chair and wrap me in a blanket. They handed me a glass of milk and a book. I looked down at it and it was my moms favorite author, Nora Roberts. I smiled and wish she was there. I couldn't even bring myself to open the book. It made me remember my mother and how I got us in this mess. I set the book down and watched as everyone moved around our floor. No one really looked my way, I was just there. I guessed it was due to the fact that I was supposed to be trying to lower my blood pressure.