27. Locked Away

When Fred stepped inside the front door of the Burrow he was shocked to see not only his entire family gathered around the dining room table, but Draco, Theo, Pansy, Seamus, Dean, Neville and Luna surrounding it as well.

Their lives were continuing while Fred's was coming to a standstill.

Fred stared at them, his eyes dancing over Angelina who was staring at him shocked. Ron was looking at him in curiosity, and George looked heartbroken. Out of the front pocket of George's shirt he could see the note he had written him poking out.

"I was going to come see you after dinner." George said gently, just then Fred broke at the sound of his brothers voice.

Surprisingly, Luna caught him first. Or more rather fell with him to the hardwood floors. She rubbed circles on his back, and whispered words Fred couldn't make out. Eventually Draco and Theo heaved him up, and he was settled on the living room couch.

Everyone left the room with sad eyes, leaving only George and his mother. They both held him as he sobbed, and he simply began blabbering. Needing no encouragement to do so.

He talked about cleaning all the blood off her body, and how it had stained his hands. How she wouldn't look at him properly. How sometimes she wanted to be as close to him as possible, and other times she didn't want him to touch her.

He continued talking until his throat went hoarse, and his tears subsided. He slowly raised his head to find his mother smiling softly at him, and George walking away. His mother gently fixed his nose with soft whispers, not looking up until George walked back into the room.

"Luna, Ginny can you come here please." George beckoned, and soon the two girls walked into the room following him. Luna's long white hair fluttered behind her, as she sat at Fred's feet with a small smile on his face. Ginny hung on the edge, her short red hair bouncing as she twitched her foot nervously.

"Let them talk to Hermione, and see what she says. I think...I think she's just scared Fred." George whispered, reaching out to rub his brothers back soothingly. Molly bustled the two girls away, giving advice only a mother would know.

"I kept it safe for you, locked upstairs." George held out the chain, with the simple diamond ring hanging off of it. Fred grasped it quickly, looking down at it in awe.

"Thank you." Fred breathed, the relief flooding through him like a waterfall.

"She still loves you Fred, she just needs some time. She lost a lot very quickly." George then reached into his pocket, and tapped his wand against the parchment to reveal a large manila envelope.

"When she's ready, Theo will start sending her work to do. Using a secret owl, we're fighting our way back into the ministry here." George chuckled, gesturing towards the kitchen where Fred could hear mumbled conversations. "I'll start sending you work here soon as well, might as well have something to do." George winked, thumping his brother on his shoulder before sighing a deep sigh.

"But you can't turn up here anymore, not until it's safe. Reporters have been swarming the Burrow..we can't go see you either." George whispered, and suddenly Fred was flinging his arms around his brother.

The reality of the situation crashing down on him. He had committed to staying away from his family for ten years. With only the secret post to communicate. Their future was entirely uncertain. He had no idea when he'd see him next.

"Everything will be okay, we'll take a page out of Mione's book. We'll hope." George said against Fred's ear, holding him so tight Fred nearly couldn't breathe. Fred hugged back tighter, letting the tears breach again before blinking them away.