1. The Law of Marriage

Hermione collapsed at her dining room table, slinging her book bag to crash against the oak. She laid her head in her arms and groaned. Loud, and long. Letting all of her frustrations pour out of her.

She clamped her mouth shut with a snap, and sat up bleary eyed. A tapping on her kitchen window caused her head to swivel, and a gray barn owl stared at her, a dozen letters clamped in it's beak.

Hermione jumped up, wretched the window open and shut it behind the owl to leave the cold out and the warm in. 

"Thank you, kindly. Wait, I have treats somewhere." Hermione took the letters, and the owl set to pecking at its wings. Clearly annoyed with Hermione and her lack of being prepared with an array of treats for the overworked owl. 

Hermione checked cupboards, behind the bananas and in the fridge before she remembered she had shoved the treat bag in the bread box. She grabbed a handful and dumped it in front of the owl, who set about picking away as Hermione sat back down in her chair.

Hermione flicked through the letters, most were from the Daily Prophet asking for an exclusive interview.

They wanted to know about post-war Hermione.

They wanted to know if her and Harry were estranged now that school was over and they weren't defeating a dark wizard at every corner.

But mainly. They wanted to know why Ron Weasley had broken up with her.

They also wanted to know how she felt about his new engagement.

Hermione lit all those letters on fire with a flick of her wand, a frown on her face. She let them shrink to ash before scooping it up and tossing them in the sink drain. Washing them down with another flick of her wand, before slamming herself back down in her dining room chair. 

Hermione resumed filing through the rest of the letters. Setting aside the one from Harry, the one from Luna and the one from Molly to find one from the Ministry.

With an official stamp, blazing in all its glory on the front. A large glittering 'M' seemed to stare into her soul. 

The owl let out a hoot of annoyance, as his shift was far from over, and Hermione stood to let it out before leaning against the counter gazing down at the envelope. 

She had to open it. She knew she did it. It was probably against some wizarding law to ignore Ministry letters.

Hermione turned it over a couple of times. Pondering its existence. What would they do if Hermione didn't open it? Surely she couldn't be thrown in Azkaban for ignoring governmental mail?

Could she?

Hermione tossed it on the table, letting it slide to crash into her book bag.

She decided she'd open it after dinner.

——

Fred trudged up the stairs, his shoulders slumped exhausted. He had George's and his mails clamped in one hand, and the other was running tiredly through his hair. Untangling the sweaty knots he had earned from working all day. 

He pushed into his and George's apartment, flicking on the lights as he slumped to the dining room table.

He hung his head in his hands and groaned lowly. It had been an exhausting day at the shop and Fred wanted nothing more than to crawl into bed and sleep until next Tuesday. Between delayed shipments, overly eager customers and an onslaught of order demands, he was thoroughly regretting ever opening his own shop. 

Fred rubbed his eyes hard with the palm of his hands until he saw stars, then he lifted his head and stared down at the stack of mail before him. He had meant to open them during lunch, but hadn't the opportunity as they had gotten a lunch rush of students right as he sat down.