3. Cocktail Hour

Fred paced the cabin twelve times, glancing nervously down at his watch at every turn. Hermione had been gone for over two hours, and they were supposed to be at the lodge in ten minutes. Fred turned again, looking down at his wrist when the front door swung open. 

"Give me two minutes." Hermione grabbed some things from her suitcase and stepped into the bathroom, shutting the door leaving Fred staring at the wood.

"Two bloody minutes." Fred whispered, staring down at his watch until the door swung open again.

"You went over, two minutes and-" He cut himself off as he glanced up at Hermione, she smirked at him and tossed her previous attire into a basket just inside the bedroom door. 

"It's a competition, is it not?" Hermione grinned, then walked towards him brushing by to grab the papers that had been set on the dining room table. She studied the schedule for a moment, making a mental note of the next few days. 

"Cocktail hour starts in six minutes." Hermione glanced over at him, and it seemed to snap Fred out of his trance. 

"Right, let me throw on a buttoned shirt." Fred hurried into the bedroom, and scrambled in his suitcase praising the heavens he had at least thought about packing one. He felt severely undressed in his simple cotton t-shirt and jeans. Leave it to Hermione to out do him, at least he had showered. 

He shrugged it on quickly, buttoning it up as he left the room. Hermione gave him a once over, before waving at the front door. She had a pair of short heels hanging in her hand. 

"Ready?" She asked, and Fred frowned at her shoes. 

"Aren't you going to put your shoes on?" He asked, stepping towards the door. 

"They'll sink in the mud, I'll put them on when we get there." Hermione shrugged, all but pushing Fred outside. Annoyed by his comments that were holding them up. 

Fred stepped down the few front steps, and watched as Hermione glided by him. Stepping easily on the dirt path and began walking, leaving Fred behind. 

"Won't your feet be dirty?" Fred argued, tucking in his shirt as he walked. Compared to her he felt like he was wearing rags. 

She was wearing a black cocktail dress, that had a slit up the side towards her thigh. Though very modest all around, Fred thought it to be one of the best dresses he had seen in his life. Her hair had been braided over her shoulder, and she wore a simple necklace. No make-up or other glittery things on her. 

"So?" Hermione asked, not even briefly pausing as Fred bent down to tie his shoe. 

"Well, I mean I can carry you if you want?" Fred asked, jogging up to fall into stride next to her. Shoving his hands in the pockets of his trousers. 

"I know how to walk Fred." Hermione said pointedly, looking up as a large lodge seemed to nearly materialize in front of them as they came around a corner. 

"I know that, do you have to be so difficult? I'm just trying to-" 

"Stop trying Fred." Hermione said at once, quickening her pace as other couples seemed to materialize out of the forest from all sides. 

Fred waited by Hermione, a strained look on his face, as she brushed her feet off near the steps before putting her shoes on. Then she abandoned him to hurry up the steps, leaving Fred to hurry after her. 

"Welcome! Welcome, I'm so happy to finally see all your smiling faces rather than just reports with your names on them!" The man grinned like it was the funniest thing he had ever said, though Fred supposed maybe it had been the funniest thing he had ever said.