32. Abyss

This chapter is dedicated to @nr0897867564534231 for a lovely message they sent me the other day. It made me smile, and honestly tear up a bit. Thank you kindly for the sweet words, and this chapter is in no way a representation of how I feel about your support. Just a simple token of gratitude. 

-some scenes may be unsuitable for young readers- 

The first few weeks of marriage were a complete and utter bliss. The happy couple went about their lives as they had been before, only now under the understanding that in each and every way, they belonged to one another.

Well, all except one way.

But Fred never pushed, holding strong and true to his statement of waiting patiently for Hermione. He never brought it up in conversation, or made any notion that he wanted her. If she began to tremble under his wandering hand, he pulled away and resumed whispering reassuring words into her ear until she fell asleep in his arms.

Neither of them desired a honeymoon, nor any sort of trip to solidify their promise to one another. They were content in their small home. Spending days out on the water, and their nights tangled up in their bed.

George forced Fred to take a few days off of work, and Theo lied about the post being backed up so Hermione couldn't receive any of her work.

The couple knew of the two boys intentions, but they didn't waver. They simply spent their days putting around, enjoying one another's presence.

"Do the Weasley's even like tarts?" Hermione asked, a glass pan clutched in one hand the other hand wound with Fred's.

"The Weasley's will eat just about anything love." Fred laughed, squeezing Hermione's hand as the Burrow came into view. He hadn't been anywhere else as of late. Bouncing between his house, his parents and work. It was a simple life, one he never dreamed of but one he was undoubtedly happy to be living. "You should know, you are married to one." Fred made a show of patting his stomach, making Hermione laugh at him. 

"But will they like my tart?" Hermione questioned, clearly egging for a compliment. As she had forced Fred to taste all of her failed creations all morning in light of the regular Sunday dinner this evening at the Burrow.

"If they don't, I'll feed them all my canary creams." Fred promised, slowing Hermione down to a stop so he could press a gentle kiss against her lips. Hermione whispered her gratitude against his mouth, only pulling away when a shout rang out in the air.

"Oi! Lovebirds! Quit sucking face for two bloody minutes so Fred can help me!" They both turned to see George waving his hand at a large box in front of him, sweat already beating on his brow. It was undoubtedly a surprise gift for their father, as his birthday was next week. 

"Love you." Fred whispered to Hermione, before retracting himself and hurrying towards his brother, laughing as George tackled him in a brotherly hug before pushing him towards the box. Insisting he try lifting it by himself if he was so manly.

Hermione stepped into the house by herself, welcomed by the aroma of Molly's cooking. Their were voices filtering in from the living room, but Hermione avoided that room and opted for ducking into the kitchen.

Molly stood beside Charlie, who was helping dish things into large glass containers to be placed on the table outside. Charlie as of late had been spending more time around the Burrow, flooing in from all over the country. He shrugged it off as a desire to spend more time around his family, saying life was short and he'd miss his mother terribly if something were to happen to him. This won Molly over immediately, and she swatted anyone with a towel if they dared trying to pry more information from Charlie.