thirty-four degrees - connor/nines

SUMMARY: Connor meets Nines for a date.
WORD COUNT: 1564

It took months, but as of January 2039, Detroit had finally calmed down and become safer for Androids. Not entirely, of course. There were still several things trying to be worked out by Markus, Simon, Josh, and North as they pushed for more and more basic human rights to the court. But it had finally become peaceful enough in Detroit for Connor to ask out Nines on a date. He had been wanting to ask him for the longest time but had never found it safe enough for them to really go out, and by the time it was, he had never been able to muster the confidence to.

As they got closer, though, Connor had slowly built up the confidence, but there was a layer of apprehension he couldn't seem to get rid of. That was until he'd seen Detective Reed flirting with Nines.

Realistically, he knew he had nothing to worry about, because Nines likely had more sense than to get together with someone as emotionally unstable and unwell as Gavin Reed, but the fact that there was still a chance of it happening made him uneasy. He also knew that Nines was allowed to be with whomever he wanted, but it didn't make the jealousy he felt any less extreme.

So the day after he'd seen it happen, he'd asked Nines out, and Nines genuinely showed signs of interest. Beyond just the surprised look on his face, Connor could hear the rate of Nines' thirium pump regulator pick up in speed and he showed some sign of excitement when they agreed on Saturday that weekend.

When the day came, Connor found himself nervous despite finally mustering up the courage to ask him out.

"It won't be that bad," he said to himself in the mirror. The encouraging sticky notes on his roommate Hank's mirror were also somewhat motivating. He left the bathroom, sighing aloud and catching Hank's attention from the couch. Hank got up, looking Connor over. His eyebrows raised.

"You look good," Hank complimented. Connor smiled to himself shyly.

"Thank you," Connor replied, and his nerves weren't well hidden, apparently.

"Connor, it's gonna be fine," Hank huffed, walking over to Connor.

"I'm not so sure," Connor sighed. "What if I mess it up? I don't want to say something weird and then he isn't interested at all anymore, he'll just get with goddamn Detective Reed ." He said the last couple of words with venom.

"Connor," Hank said, talking slowly. Connor grimaced. He didn't like being talked to like he was some child. "He doesn't like Reed. He actually seems to hate the bastard."

"Even so, I don't want to mess this up." Connor ran a hand through his hair, a nervous habit he'd actually taken from Hank.

"You won't, Con," Hank reassured, reaching over the back of the couch and grabbing a beanie. He tossed it to Connor. "It's cold. 34 degrees out."

"I can control my body temperature at will," Connor protested, looking down at the beanie, and then up to Hank, whose eyes said just take it. "But, thank you." Connor put on the beanie and decided he did like the warmth it brought.

"It's twelve," Hank said, leaning on the back of the couch with his arms crossed. "You said your date's at 12:30, I'd say you should get goin' just to be safe."

"Oh, you're right." Connor raised his eyebrows in surprise. He adjusted the hat on his head for a second and then took steps toward the door. "Wish me luck."

"Good luck, kid. You'll be fine," Hank said, waving him off with a proud smile on his face. Connor nodded and opened the door, waving bye to Sumo as it closed behind him.

Connor took a cab to the place they'd agreed to meet, a park that was farther away than he thought. He realized he probably should have calculated how long it'd take, but luckily Hank had gotten him out the door early so he had plenty of time.