ten

september 30th, 1975 - gryffindor commons

Since the Quidditch match, Lorelei, Emily and Lesley had gotten closer to the boys, having spend every meal with them in the Great Hall. Sometimes even Lorelei and Remus would cross paths in the halls, walking together until they had to go separate ways.

He had gotten to know Lorelei better in that time, from her favourite colour to her favourite childhood memory. He'd never been more happy than he was right now, being able to spend so much time with her. But it came with a small downfall, that being the hatred from Martin, who'd always glare at him. Sirius had told him not mind it, but he felt a little uncomfortable under the hateful gaze.

"Okay, hello. I have some news to share." James announces as he throws himself on to the couch, Sirius groans in annoyance and pushes him off. James huffs as he falls to the ground.

"Does it require you annoying us?" Sirius asks with a teasing smirk. James rolls his eyes, choosing to ignore him.

"It's concerning Martin." James says, making Remus glance at him in curiosity. "I asked around at practice today. And fortunately enough, I fell upon a nice lad who is friends with Martin's cousin."

"Okay and what did this lad have to say?" Peter asks, probing himself up on his elbow, from the couch across where James is sitting on the floor, while Sirius just takes up the whole couch.

"Apparently Martin had to meet up with a Slytherin about something and therefore couldn't attend. He had even asked Lorelei if he could miss the game." James explains, making Remus bite his lip as he frowns in thought.

"Why would he want to meet up with Slytherin's?" Remus wonders aloud and James snaps his fingers.

"That's exactly what I thought so, I asked around even more. No one had any idea and I didn't want to dig in too much, to avoid raising and suspicion. But fortunately I heard this first year students talking about the rogue buldger. Apparently it was a Slytherin student who hexed it." James says, the other boys' eyes widen in shock.

"There is no way that's a coincidence. But at the same time it makes no sense. Why would Martin want to set a rogue buldger free, when his two year long girlfriend is on the filed?" Sirius asks and James shrugs.

"We should definitely look more into it." Remus muses, making his friends nod in agreement.

None of this made sense to him. Sirius was right, why would Martin want to harm Lorelei. Most importantly, why would he be doing this now, when he could've done it before. He was lost, so many questions flooded his mind.

"Should we tell Lorelei about this?" Peter asks, making Remus snap his head to look at him.

"Absolutely not. We don't have enough proof to just go randomly accuse the person she... she loves." It pained him to say the last part. No matter how envious he was of Martin, he would never willingly do or say anything to ruin their relationship.

"We definitely need more proof. But where do we even start?" Sirius asks, making Remus lean back, showing his head back to look at the ceiling in thought.

They couldn't just venture around, randomly asking questions about Martin. That would raise too many suspicions. They couldn't exactly follow him around either, that would be creepy and since they're all in the same building he'd immediately notice. There wasn't many solutions in all honesty.

"I'm not sure. I think for now we can't do much, but as soon as he does something suspicious, we try to get as much information as possible." Remus answers his question.

"Moony, are you okay with all this? I mean, we are talking about the boyfriend of your crush." James expresses his worry and Remus lets out a sigh.

"I want her to be happy, even if she's not by my side or if she never talks to me again. But I also don't want her to be in harm's way." Remus says honestly, before looking down at James. "If she hates me for what we're going to do, but we somehow saved her being hurt, then I'll live with it."

"We'll make sure that never happens." Sirius says firmly. "After all, she's supposed to be in love with you by the end of the year."

"Do you really believe that's going to happen?" Remus asks and Sirius nods, clearly determined to make it happen. "I can only dream of it happening."

"Don't worry, soon, it won't be a dream anymore."