twelve

october 6th, 1975 - hogwarts halls

"We're doing Human Transfiguration. It's genuinely terrifying." Lorelei hums as she walks side by side with Remus. He looks down at her, curious of her words.

"Is it similar to an Animagus form? Except, instead of being an animal, it's an object?" Remus asks and she chuckles softly.

"Yeah. But if you do it wrong, you can be stuck in that form forever. Imagine being stuck as a chair or a cup." Lorelei points out, making him wince at the thought. It certainly was not a pleasing idea. "Remember in second year, we had to learn Vera Verto? A student couldn't figure out how to undo it, and if Professor McGonagall had not interfered, imagine. Poor animal."

"Well, unless you're planning on transfiguring into a chair or cup, I'm sure you'll be fine." Remus hums, trying to reassure her. She smiles, clearly feeling less worried. "And are you not top of the class? You probably won't struggle."

"Actually, Martin is. He is really good. He makes me feel so dumb." She huffs, a slight pout on her lips and he shoves her lightly.

"Don't say that. You're smart and don't let anyone tell you otherwise, not even yourself." He says pointedly and she smiles softly, a blush adorning her cheeks. Before either can say anything else, someone calls for Remus. He turns around and confusion settles on his features as he sees Martin walking towards them.

"Lupin, I think we should talk." Martin says firmly, making Lorelei look up at him in confusion. An unsettling feeling rises up in Remus, as he feels himself get nervous.

"Sure. What's up?" He asks, trying not to show his nervousness. Martin takes a quick glance at Lorelei, but doesn't even greet her.

"What do you think you're doing?" Martin asks and Remus looks at him in bewilderment.

"I'm making my way to the Gryffindor tower." Remus says. Of course, he knew that that wasn't what Martin meant when asking that question, but he wasn't about to fall into his game.

"You know exactly what I meant, don't act dumb, Lupin." Martin snaps, having seen right through the act.

Lorelei's eyes widen in shock, not having expected Martin to act this way, she takes a quick look at Remus, wondering why he was acting so calm. But that's when she noticed, the little tick in his jaw, as if he was holding back his anger. She wondered if he was trying to stay calm for her sake.

"Martin. What the bloody hell?" Lorelei snaps right back, surprising the two boys. It was known that Lorelei usually kept a calm demeanour, no matter what. "Why are you acting this way?"

"Lore, I-"

"Unless you're going to apologise to him, I don't want to hear it. He's my friend and you can't talk to the people I care about like that! What has gotten into you?" Lorelei asks in annoyance, Remus' eyes widen. He felt his heart flutter. Seeing Lorelei defend him, made him feel like nothing else in the world mattered, because Lorelei cared for him.

"You're really taking the side of that monster?" Martin snarls, snapping Remus out of his daze. He felt his heartbeat increase and panic settle in him. He had heard worse, but the thought that Lorelei might start to think the same thing.

"Repeat that? You called him a what now?" Lorelei asks, moving to stand in between Remus and Martin. She glared up at her boyfriend, making him take a step back. "I think you must have hit your head during practice. Remus, come on. We have better things to do."

Before anyone else could say anything, Lorelei turns around and takes Remus' hand, before dragging him away. Even though they were getting further away from Martin, the panic didn't subside. He was still worried that she'd think that he was a monster, if she were to ever find out about what he truly was.

"I'm sorry. I don't know why he acted like that. He's usually... he's more caring." Lorelei sighs, not daring to look up at him, as if ashamed.

"Don't apologise. This is not your fault." Remus stops, tugging her softly to turn around to look at him. She looks up at him and his heart skips a beat. "But... you didn't have to take my defence like that. You've known him longer than me."

"Not an excuse. Remus, you're important to me." She says, taking a step closer and his breath gets caught at the back his throat. "Just as he is important to me."

His shoulders drop. He wasn't sure what he expected, but he shouldn't have expected it. He was just one of her friends, that's it.

"And I won't stand casually as he acts that way. No matter what, Remus, you are my friend and nothing can change that." She says in determination and without hesitation, she wraps her arms around is neck and pulls him close.

Once again, he is shocked by her sudden action. Soon he melts into her arms, slowly wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her even closer. Being in her arms this time felt different from the first time. It felt like she was holding on, as if she was afraid he'd leave her.

He buries his face in her shoulder, closing his eyes as he takes her scent in. She smelled like freshly cut grass, the fresh air of the mountains and something sweet. He smiles softly, feeling over the moon to be able to hold her so tightly and if he had it this way, they'd stay like this forever.