Chapter 19

"Too rigid."

Aurelia moved, trying to do what Xander wanted.

"Too relaxed."

She looked up at him in annoyance. "Then how am I supposed to stand?"

"Don't move!" Xander said suddenly, his eyes widened. "Just look forwards instead of at me. That's the right stance!"

Aurelia tilted her head back down.

"Okay, almost. You've got to relax your legs too. Bend your knees a little."

Aurelia tried.

"That's it! You're finally in the correct position!"

"Oh!"

Xander tilted his head to the side as he watched her for mistakes. "You're supposed to hold your fist with the thumb on the outside."

Aurelia sighed as she followed his instructions. "Alright, now what?"

"Well..." Xander thought for a moment. "Attack."

The door was pushed open quietly. Nyx didn't look up. She didn't want to see the disappointment etched on Laurelyn's face - she could tell that it was her sister from the way she walked. She recognized the pattern.

"Nyx," her sister's heavy voice said.

Nyx's body grew stiff.

Laurelyn swallowed. "Can I talk to you?"

"Speak." Nyx hadn't meant to sound that harsh, but she did.

"I just..." Laurelyn breathed out,  heavily. "Nyx, I only came to say two things, so, please, listen. Firstly... I'm sorry. I haven't been a very good sister to you... I know it's been like you don't matter to me for a long time, but I promise that's not true... I do care about you. It's just that... I don't know how to show it sometimes, Nyx.

"Honestly, I don't have any reason or excuse for this. All I have is this lousy apology and that makes me feel really bad, but... I don't know what I can do for you. You've grown to be so strong, and you didn't need anyone to depend on at all. I'm glad for you, but... I'm also sad when I think of what you must have gone through all those years without me. I'm sorry I couldn't help you and that we were all such idiots who never defied an order..."

Laurelyn cleared her throat, knowing that if she stopped now, she would never be able to get the words out.

"And, secondly, I - well, I'm also sorry for this... I shouldn't have just snapped like that. Xander and I heard your conversation from the kitchen, or, at least I did, you know his hearing isn't as good as ours, um - well, I just rushed out without thinking... I really shouldn't have done that. I could've made myself calm down first... or at least not just tell you to stop... well, I didn't. I get that I was wrong... but..." Laurelyn heaved another sigh. "I really am in no position to say this, but... you were wrong, too."

"I know," Nyx mumbled.

"You should... apologize..." Laurelyn said weakly. "Darn it... Why is this so hard..." she muttered in frustration as she tugged a hand through her loose, dark hair.

Nyx managed to meet her older sister's grey eyes, though she struggled not to pull her gaze away. "Laura... look..." Her tone was heavy as her heart pounded at the thought of the words she was about to say.

"...yeah?"

"It's alright... I don't, you know, blame you for anything. It's fine... I'm sorry too... It was my fault," she said suddenly. "Everything is my fault..."

"No, it's not."

Nyx shook her head as she stared at her sister. "Don't you think that... don't you think that... it was my fault she died...?"

"What? No, of course not!" Laurelyn stopped her from continuing. "Of course it wasn't. If anything, it was my fault for suggesting that idea in the first place."

"But I didn't stop you..."

"Some things just happen, Nyx..." Laurelyn mumbled, so quiet Nyx wouldn't have heard her if she was fully human. "Some things just aren't anyone's fault. And I know things happen because of our choices, but... no one could have predicted that she would die."

"I-it was a high risk for her from the beginning," Nyx whispered. "If we hadn't let her be the bait - !"

"Then why don't you say it was her fault?" Laurelyn cut in. "She volunteered."

"What?! Of course it wasn't her fault, how could you say that?!" Nyx cried.

"Exactly," Laurelyn said. She wasn't happy that she had to say something like that to get Nyx to understand, but that was what it took. "And so it's... neither of our faults. Nor Xander."

Nyx swallowed,  her mouth feeling like sandpaper. "I... I suppose you're right... Laurelyn..."

"Nyx, Junira's death was no one's fault," Laurelyn said with the most sincerity she had ever spoken with. "I promise."

Nyx hesitated and, finally, she nodded. "Th-thank you."

Laurelyn smiled just a little, the motion cracking her dry lips. "You don't need to thank me, Nyx. You're my sister."

"Will you... will we always be sisters?" Nyx asked, holding the eye contact. "I mean - " her cheeks turned warmer " - I know asking something like that is really childish, but..."

"Of course." Laurelyn looked her in the eye, her grey ones filled with only sincerity. "Always, Nyx."

Her lips curled upwards. "Thanks... Laura..."

Laurelyn smiled back. Both of their smiles were small, but they were there. I wonder when the last time I really smiled was. Well, no matter.

She looked at her younger sister. "Nyx, what do you say we go and visit her later?"

"June?" Nyx brightened, the slightest bit.

"Yeah."

"Well, sure, but..." Nyx frowned. "We're banned from the entire territory of Silver Fall."

"Ha, who cares? The burial grounds aren't part of Silver Fall."

"Well, yeah... Alright... Let's go and see June now."

"Yes, but aren't you forgetting something?" Laurelyn asked.

"Oh, right..." Nyx swallowed. "I'll go and talk to them now, Laura... You go get ready. It'll be quick."

"You sure you want to go alone?"

Nyx nodded as she stood and headed for the door, filled with a new resolve. "I'll be fine. See you, Laura."

"I'll meet you at the door."

"Okay."

With that, Laurelyn and Nyx left her room, heading in different directions with a new promise lingering in their hearts.