Chapter 4

Aurelia walked after Xander to the room where the wolf-shifters had fought against her before.

Inside, a man and woman stood with their backs to Aurelia and Xander, speaking with the wolf-shifters. Xander walked towards them confidently.

Aurelia took a deep breath and followed after.

"Alpha, Luna, she's here," she heard Xander say as she approached.

"H-hi..." Aurelia stuttered.

Both man and woman turned to see her. The queen's eyes widened as the king gasped.

"Aurelia, they are your father and mother, Alpha Aurelios Reone and Luna Vayna Reone," Xander said.

"Aurelia..." Alpha Aurelios said, blue eyes wide.

Aurelia didn't reply. She didn't know what to say at all.

After all, what was someone who was meeting her parents for the first time in thirteen years of life supposed to say to those parents?

"I'm sorry," Luna Vayna said as she tucked a strand of her red-brown hair behind her ear. "I know we should never have abandoned you there..."

"Then why did you?" Aurelia burst out.

"We were attacked at the time..." Luna Vayna said quietly. "If we hadn't put you at the doorstep of the orphanage, you would have been killed because we were too weak to protect you at the time."

"Abandoning you was the safest option at the time," Alpha Aurelios continued. "We thought that we would die at the time."

"Then why did you never take me back?" Aurelia whispered.

"The situation was so bad at the time... We had to rebuild everything and it took an enormous amount of time," Alpha Aurelios replied.

"Thirteen years?" Aurelia said. "It takes thirteen years to rebuild?"

"No, but..." Luna Vayna trailed off.

"So you are saying that everything you did was right?" Aurelia demanded, no longer afraid.

She wanted to know why they had abandoned her. If they hadn't, she might be dead, but then she would never have experienced that betrayal.

She would never even have met David.

Why had he tried to kill her anyway?

"Aurelia. Aurelia," Xander broke her out of her thoughts. "You've got to train now."

Aurelia shook her head to clear her thoughts. "Fine..."

"Your Majesties, stand at the side. This will get... a bit messy," Xander muttered.

Alpha Aurelios and Luna Vayna complied, standing near the door as Aurelia slowly walked up to the group of wolf-shifters.

"I might as well tell you that they are part of our pack - they're the protectors. It equals to a commander of the armies to humans," Xander said suddenly.

Aurelia froze.

What?

The infamous protectors?

But I've never even heard of them losing a fight. All the enemies were annihilated...

I'm supposed to fight them?!

Regardless, she continued to walk again, even though she felt sick.

Xander's voice came to Aurelia's ears as she took a deep breath. "Now.... fight."

Aurelia gasped as the wolf-shifters in wolf form leapt at her. Her lips pressed together as she flung one away doggedly.

She knew that this wasn't in her favour at all, but she had to at least try.

She was in front of her parents for the first time, after all.

Aurelia's heart raced as she fought tooth and nail with no technique or knowledge. Her arms shook as she held them out to stop one wolf from landing on top of her. She heaved the wolf off.

He was so heavy.

Aurelia groaned quietly. She saw the Alpha, the Luna and lord commander knight watching her out of the corner of her eye. A sense of suffocation rose in her.

The pain on her right leg jolted her out of her trance and she glanced down to see a deep wound. Aurelia winced as she did her best to keep the wolves off her.

She wasn't questioning why this was happening anymore as she growled in anger when she felt half-healed wounds from before pulling, because she knew the answer.

She was the daughter of the wolf-shifter king and queen.

And she'd act her part.

She didn't want to be abandoned again. They would leave her if she was weak, like everyone else.

Not that there really had been much people; they were the ones who left her in the beginning.

But this time, she would prove her worth.

The one thing that rang in Aurelia's mind throughout the training was that she couldn't let her body give out.

A wolf's paw sliced open the back of her neck and she gasped in both shock and pain. Her entire body shook as she tried to rest for a moment, but she was the only person who cared that she was hurt. The wolves just kept cutting open her skin, and Aurelia's energy was fading.

Finally, the wolves backed away.

Aurelia was jubilant. She was so tired, but still...

This was the first time she hadn't fallen unconscious during fighting. Having Xander call the wolves off her didn't count.

Aurelia willed herself to stay calm and continue.

But as always, life didn't go her way and her eyes slowly closed until darkness overwhelmed her completely.