Chapter 9

"Come on!" David shouted outside Aurelia's room.

Inside the room, six-year-old Aurelia was fiddling with her dark brown hair. Dark green eyes filled with excitement, she called back, "Just another minute, David!"

"Fine!"

This would be her first time going to a theme park. David had told her that he was sure she'd like it, before, and she couldn't wait.

Aurelia giggled to herself as she stood and pranced around.

Then the door opened with a squeak. Aurelia jumped and turned to the door to find David's shocked face.

"What - what are you doing?!" David gasped.

Aurelia's face turned bright red. "Nothing. Get out of my room! I told you to wait. Get out!"

David chuckled as he left. "Fine, but I'll never forget the look on your face and what you were doing!"

Aureloa glared at his backside as he shut the door.

Ugh...

The embarrassment all came back to Aurelia as she remembered the "good" times.

A few minutes later, Aurelia left her room.

"You're finally done?" David said with an eye roll. "Then, let's g - "

"PRINCESS!"

Aurelia's eyes snapped open to find Nyx looming over her. She gasped, speechless while she realized she was lying on the floor.

Nyx stared at Aurelia impatiently as she quickly stood up. "Where are we?"

"Oh. Um..." Aurelia cleared her throat, finding her voice. "My old home."

"How did we get here?" Nyx asked.

"Xander carried you," Aurelia quickly said and explained what had happened since Nyx fell unconscious.

"We're free of that tyrant?!" Nyx's face lit up.

"Wh - "

"ARGH!" Xander's voice came to their ears. "DARN IT!"

Nyx and Aurelia exchanged a look and took off running.

They found Xander glaring at the broken window. He was holding pieces of glass, which cut into his hands. There was a roll of tape and a pair of blue scissors on the floor.

"What are you...?" Nyx trailed off.

"Fixing the window," Xander said.

Aurelia stared at him. "Wolf-shifters never fix windows?"

"No, they don't," Xander said. "Why?"

"Then how do they fix their broken windows?" Aurelia asked.

"They hire people to fix it," Nyx said in her quiet voice.

Aurelia sighed. "Okay." She paused. "XANDER, YOU DON'T FIX A WINDOW BY STICKING THE PIECES OF GLASS TOGETHER! IDIOT!"

Xander's face fell. "But... I thought..."

"No!"

"But I haven't even - "

"No!"

"Aurelia, I didn't - "

"No!"

"Can you just let me - "

"No!"

"You haven't even heard what - "