Chapter 2

"Get up."

Aurelia groaned.

"Get up, Aurelia."

She opened her eyes and through her blurred vision, she saw Xander.

"Come with me," he said, the gaze in his brown eyes serious.

Aurelia rubbed her eyes and got up slowly. "Where..." she began to say.

And then she remembered, and she saw his smile again.

"You're useless."

She swallowed as her breathing quickened and her heart rate accelerated.

"Let's go," Xander said impatiently.

She followed him down some stairs and into a room, where a group of wolf-shifters was waiting in wolf form.

"Fight them," Xander said.

"What?!" Aurelia cried.

Xander didn't reply, and crossed his arms instead.

The wolf-shifters attacked her and with all her might she flung them off, but they kept coming.

Her green eyes widened in fear. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Xander watching with crossed arms.

Was he trying to kill her?!

This was why she didn't trust wolf-shifters!

She defended herself from the wolf-shifters for what seemed like hours. They raked their claws on her skin and nipped at her ankles.

How could he do this to her? No, how could anyone do this?

Aurelia screamed as she kicked a wolf-shifter. Her heart was racing and she didn't know what was happening.

Finally Xander's voice rang out, "Enough."

The wolf-shifters retreated.

"What are you doing?!" Aurelia nearly shouted.

Xander didn't reply and instead dragged her back to the room where she had arrived.

"Eat," Xander said as he handed her a bowl. He left the room.

After a long time Aurelia decided the food was safe and ate.

She was still so afraid though...

Xander had seemed nice yesterday, but now he was forcing her to fight thirty wolf-shifters at the same time.

She sighed and lay on the bed, but at that exact moment, the door opened.

In came Xander.

Her body went rigid with fear. What did he want now?

"It's not over," he said, his expression almost apologetic as he yanked her out of the room again.

Aurelia cried out. Her wounds hurt so much, but he didn't seem to care at all.

He dragged her back to where she saw the wolf-shifters and there they were again, this time in human form.

Aurelia looked at him in shock.

"Fight them," Xander said, just like before, and stood to a side as the wolf-shifter attacked her again.

Aurelia gasped. Tears and sweat were running down her face, and her body was shaking.

Why was he doing this to her?

Why was he forcing her to fight the wolf-shifters?

"Why?" she choked out as a wolf-shifter punched her in the eye.

Xander didn't reply though a small crease had crept into his browline.

It continued until she could barely stand anymore. There was just too many of them, and she was only one human against them.

What was Xander hoping to achieve by this, anyway?

Give her more scars?

Aurelia chuckled at her "joke", before a wolf-shifter slammed into her and she fell to the floor. She groaned.

And before she knew it, she had already fallen unconscious.

Aurelia rubbed the sleep from her eyes.

Where was she?

Then everything came back to her.

Why wasn't she on the "training room" ground?

She shook her head, trying to clear her thoughts. It didn't help that she was hungry.

The door opened and Xander came into the room.

"Good, you're awake. Come on," he said and dragged her back to where she had fought before.

"Wait," Aurelia gasped.

"What?" Xander said impatiently.

"How long was I out?" Aurelia asked.

"A day, now fight!"

"But..." Aurelia started.

Xander gave her a slight glare.

She breathed out.

Then the wolf-shifters in wolf form attacked.

Again.