Chapter 12

"Aurelia!" Laurelyn yelled.

Aurelia's green eyes were closing as her knees buckled and she started to fall towards the floor.

Laurelyn grabbed her arm, stopping it from happening. "Aurelia. Aurelia!" She looked at her sister, dark brows meeting. "She's unconscious, I think."

Nyx sighed, grey-brown eyes resigned. "We have got to move her somewhere."

"But not in her room or the Hunter's," Laurelyn said.

"Definitely not," Nyx agreed quietly. "I should think it was the smell."

Laurelyn nodded. "Well..." she said, as if she didn't know what to say.

Nyx knew it to be true. "The way to the basement is in her room, right?"

"Yeah. She wouldn't have led us here otherwise," Laurelyn replied. "Should we try to look for it?"

"I do not think so," Nyx replied. "It is probably meant to not be found by wolf-shifters, since she used to be attacked by them often - you said that before, right?"

"Right, but..." Laurelyn said as she frowned, "how did humans make it then? If they can find it, so can we."

"Good point," Nyx muttered. "Okay. But..." she paused, as if unused to speaking so much, "it will take too much time. She needs medical help."

Laurelyn let her eyes close for a second. This was so complicated.

"We can't let the glazer see her unconscious, because he would be suspicious."

"I know, Nyx," Laurelyn sighed, "but wouldn't he be focused on the window?"

"Right..."

Laurelyn thought for a moment. "Let's go find an empty room."

"Okay. But we have to be careful."

Where... am I? Aurelia wondered.

She couldn't see, hear, smell or feel anything. It was just darkness, stretching to the ends of her vision. When she reached out, there was nothing there.

Her heart raced as she swallowed heavily.

Why wasn't she back in her house with David and her foster parents?

Where was she? She was supposed to have woken up and found everything real, where she had left it!

She was supposed to wake up in her bed and see her room!

Aurelia panicked as a claustrophobic feeling rose in her, reminding her of the day David had locked her in the attic.

No!

She couldn't stay here.

Aurelia slapped herself, trying to get out of this nightmare.

"Ow!" she hissed.

Nothing happened. She continued to punch and hit herself, but all that was there was black. Unending, infinite darkness.

This had to be an illusion!

Aurelia hit herself once more, just to make sure. It hurt way more than an illusion should.