Chapter 8

"Hello?" Aurelia remembered calling out, eight years back.

Her words echoed in the living room that was evidently empty, the sound waves bouncing off the white walls and grey floor.

Aurelia shivered as a gust of wind blew into her face, making her dark green eyes water. "David?" she asked.

There was no reply.

"Are you there?" Aurelia tried again, her weak voice barely a whisper.

No one answered. No reassuring reply to let Aurelia know that she wasn't alone in the house.

Aurelia gulped, trying to calm her fluttering nerves.

When her foster parents had left on a trip to shop, David had decided to stay with her.

So where was he now?

Where could he be?

Then Aurelia heard giggling from one of the faraway rooms. Aurelia's big eyes widened as she took a frightened step backward, nearly tripping over her own feet.

"D-David?" Aurelia stuttered.

David's seven, two years older than me. He must know more about this creepy laughter and maybe he can tell me what it is, Aurelia thought to herself anxiously, racking her brains. But where is he?

Aurelia's gaze flicked around the room nervously.

Then more laughter exploded, even louder and worse than before.

Aurelia gasped.

The sounds... they were back!

Aurelia shuddered, her dark brown hair limp on her blue shirt.

Where is he? Aurelia wondered as she slowly and carefully approached the door where the laughing came from - her room.

Wait. What if David was stuck in there?!

What it David had fallen prey to this monster?

Without thinking, Aurelia shoved the door open with all her might.

Then something pounced on her.

Aurelia screamed, her eyes closing quickly to avoid from seeing the monster.

Not that she needed to because hand-like things had covered them.

Then there was more laughing, but this time... it was David's laughter?!

The hands left her face.

Aurelia's eyes snapped open to see David's face.

So where is that monster? Aurelia asked herself.

She frowned.

Or was that really David?

Deep blue eyes, blonde cropped hair...

No. It was him.

Filled with fear, five-year-old Aurelia glanced around her room, looking for the monster.

Something about this wasn't right...

Then Aurelia realized that David was the "monster" and he had tricked her.

She gasped in anger and dismay. "You, you, you idiot!" she stuttered.

David laughed gleefully. "Haha, I got you!"