Never Be Mine - Part One

'God, he's got his hands all over her. It just makes me feel so uncomfortable.'

'You're totally crushing on him.'

'No way,' I scoff, shrinking into my chair. 'I mean, look at his hair line, it's totally uneven.'

'I have never looked at the hairline of a boy that I am not totally obsessed with.'

'Well, I'm obviously just more perceptive than you. What can you say?'

'Just admit it, you totally like him.'

Of course, I could admit that I like Dan, the sweetest boy in the entire building, but I'm not going to. I don't do friendly satisfaction.

'I do not! He's a total jerk. I mean, just look. This is turning into a total molest-fest.'

'Molest-fest?'

'Seriously, it's not difficult to see.' My best friend shakes her head, giggling, and turns her attention to muttering into an apple.

Dan's sat there, hair glistening under the Costa lights, with his arm around some girl that we've never spoken to before, but know that she works here four days a week- so therefore is eligible for a discount. That's the only thing I can see that would make her attractive-

Heck, who am I kidding? Given the chance, I'm sure she'd be everyone's Woman Crush Wednesday - every week. She's gorgeous, radiant and so confident. She's everything that I've ever wanted to be. Damn, I want to be her.

She's got dark hair that's tinted at the edge with a faded pink - if I did that, I'd look like a complete idiot, but she rocks it - and honey coloured eyes that just tempt you into buying a second drink, even if you couldn't finish your first.

Her skin is blemish free, her body is thin and lean and she's just gorgeous.

And here I am, the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

'Yo, Earth to Y/N.' She waves her hand in front of my face dramatically and flicks my cheek. 'Seriously, you've been staring at that girl for, like, five minutes. You're not planning on switching to her, are you? Everybody swings both ways, it's cool, I won't judge I couldn't blame you though-'

'Of course you can't. Why would he ever like me when she's so beautiful?'

'So you do like him!' She reaches across the table and clamps her hand down on mine, audibly squeezing from the other side of the table.

'Okay, maybe I do,' with my free hand, my thumb and forefinger form about an inch gap, you know, like Kylie Jenner (is that the one?) did. 'Just a smidge.'

'A smidge my butt. This is so exciting!' Standing- no, more like leaping - up, I'm hauled up and dragged away from the table, and my drink, like a rag doll. Oh no.

'Don't even think about it! I know what you're going to do.' I try to dig my heels into the ground, but I'm wearing cheap canvas Converse knock-offs with no traction at all. Great.

'Girl, I think you're tripping-' ugh, cringy. She's both articulate and well spoken, so trying to sound cool and hip just doesn't work. 'We need to make him want you. Eep! Wait, you know in Grease when she does that whole leather thing at the end? Yes, that would work-'

'No leather.' That'll be my only rule of this whole thing.

'Fine,' she sighs. 'I have a few better ideas anyway. Now,' she claps her other hand against mine manically against mine. 'Let's get to work!' And once again, I become a rag doll, pulled across the shiny, polished floor.

Despite being rather violently escorted out of the coffee shop, I still manage to glance back at Dan. Surprisingly (surprising enough to make me trip on my laces, using only my best friends arm for support) he's looking back at me. He smiles once then turns back to - whatever that's called. Gross.

I guess this is what people mean when they say: 'The Beginning of the End.' There's just this impending feeling of doom, like once everything changes, it's going to end up as an awful hoo-haw and I'll lose everything. That's how it always happens, right?
Well not me. Yeah, I've decided that's not going to happen to me. Wish me the best of luck.

---

A/N

Hello! It's been a while since I've written but to celebrate 20k reads (thank you!!) I've decided it would be fun to write a new story. I'm putting it at the end because otherwise it could be confused with a stand alone fan fiction and the long New Neighbours story. I hope you enjoy, and do drop me a message if you'd like me to include a name or write anything particular.
P.s Remember that the best friend is yet to be named!
P.p.s I don't really like the title of the story, so I might change that at some point.
T'rah, till next time my friends, and thank you so so much for continuing to read and comment, it means the world to me.