Arms

Four minutes ago I was sat on the sidelines watching, as always. Right now, I'm about to get into a lake, fully clothed, because I'm sick of being called a stick in the mud. It's not my fault I like to keep some kind of sanity.
It's some kind of end of year forest bash; everyone has alcohol, music is blaring, the lake is heaving with excited and sweaty bodies basking in the heat and the excitement of it all. I'd like to be at home right now with my best friends Ben and Jerry, but everyone else is here and I feel like I should celebrate this year ending with a bang.
At first I dip my toes in and then slowly move further forward into the water, inching in with as much hesitation as I can, convincing myself I still have time to walk away if I'd like to. My 'friends' cheer me on, shouting my name in a repeated chant until nearly everyone in the area joins in. I give in and toss myself into the murky water, trying to clear my mind of any cholera-themed thoughts.
"Yes, Y/N! Nice to see you here!"
"Finally letting go, are we?"
"Swim like you mean it, Y/L/N!"
"Come over here, Y/N!" I paddle my way over to the latest caller and hover with my hands, desperate to keep my toes from brushing against whatever may lurk at the bottom of this lake. Maybe this whole thing will turn into Pirahna 3DD- where's the Hasslehoff?
"What's up?" I ask, edging closer to Zarie, a girl in my English class. She rarely speaks to me, so I'm surprised to see her trying to have a conversation with me. The last time we spoke, she scolded me for not doing her assessment which ended up with her getting a detention. Oops.
"You having fun?" I nod. "Hey, that looks cool!" She points out three boys who are swinging into the lake from nearby trees, landing to the sound of screams and cheers from excited teenagers.
"Dangerous. That looks dangerous." I correct her. But she's right, it does look fun. I kind of want to try it, but I'll probably end up dying-
"Let's go!" She grabs my hand- weird, I don't feel comfortable with this kind physical affection from her - and drags me to the edge, we slump over the edge and make our way to a tree branch. "Okay, on three." She says and begins the countdown, we get a whole load of momentum and propel ourselves forward.
While Zarie lands perfectly and is greeted by a wave of applause, my hands slip and I fall in over myself and instead of diving into the water, I catapult and slam down beneath the surface, completely lost amongst the many feet. I start to panic, I push my way from the crowd, but I'm running out of breath. I can't find the surface, I can't-
A set of firm arms hook beneath my shoulders and pull me up. I splutter and spit out a whole load of murky water, choking a little on a leaf or something.
"I wouldn't recommend that if I were you," a cool, overly calm voice tells me. His jet black hair is only slightly ruffled by the water, choosing instead to stick to his head in a way which looks almost normal. His eyes, his azure eyes, shine at me like a reflection of the cloudless sky above our heads.
"It was fun before I almost killed myself."
"'We were having fun with the shot gun before I accidentally pulled the trigger,' 'it was fun jumping from the cliff before we hit the rocks,' 'yeah, it was fun jumping into the lake before I got trampled on.'"
"What kind of idiot plays with a shot gun?" I think aloud. Probably not the reaction he was looking for, but a reaction which needed to be acknowledged.
"Many people, now come on, let's get you out of the lake before you drown." We float towards the edge of the lake and roll out again, our clothes sticking to us like tissue paper on a balloon. "I'm Phil, by the way."
"I'm Y/N. Would you happen to have a towel with you, Phil?" He chuckles, a deep throaty laugh that's somewhat comforting in a weird way.
"Yeah, I do." And we laugh together, going to fetch it from his bag. He wraps it around my shoulders, making sure I'm completely covered and in a suitable position to dry without becoming a walking field- you know, covered in dried grass.
Maybe this summer isn't going to be so bad, maybe this is the beginning of something great.