Goodbye

“Get out!” I cry from across the room, throwing an old top at him.

“You’ve got to listen to me, I don’t want to leave!” I turn my back and thrust another top in that direction.

“Maybe you should have thought about that before you went out with her.”

“It’s not what it seems! She’s just a friend.” He cries back at me.

“Yeah, you kiss all your friends. You’re pathetic, Phil. Just take your stuff and leave.” It feels like someone has jammed a bike in my throat. I don’t want Phil to leave by any means, but he lied to me. He cheated on me. I’m obviously not good enough for him. I throw a final top at him. “Go.”

“Goodbye, Y/N.” He picks up his bag and lingers at the door.

“What do you want, Phil? Just go.” He nods and retreats into the corridor. It hurts me to watch him leave, but I thought that after seven months I could trust him. For the first time in a week, I turn to look at him. As I lock my view on him I see that his blue eyes are full of regret, but I couldn’t care less. Slowly, he steps away and begins to close the door. In an instant, he’s gone. “Phil…” I whimper innocently. I will never see him again.

 ---

Three months of living in fear and three months of being trapped in a bubble of loneliness have passed. I barely leave my apartment any more, only when I need food. Luckily for me, I’m fortunate to have enough money for the time being to support my laziness.

Something surges through me, and I turn on my laptop. With minimal effort, I open Facebook. Subtly, I go onto Phil’s page to do a little stalking, just for research purposes.

His profile picture is of him and the girl. It’s the blonde haired model that he cheated on me with.

“4 months together, you’ve made my life the best it’s ever been. Love you so much, <3” I read the comment aloud.

God that makes me sick.

I read somewhere that if you express your feeling in a letter, you’ll feel better. So that’s what I’m going to do.

“Hey Phil,

It’s a shame I made you leave. It’s good to see that you’ve moved on quickly. Totally didn’t cheat. I’ve still got a shirt of yours; I’ll include it with this letter.

Although I know that letting you go seriously messed up my life, I’m not going to let you know that because it was also the best decision I ever made. I’ll be waiting for you and I guess I’ll leave when you come.

‘Four months together, you’ve made my life the best it’s ever been. Love you so much, <3’

Seven months not good enough for you? That’s fine, enjoy your life, Phil.

Regardless of what happens, how much I hate you…

I can’t stop loving you.

The memories we made and the time we spent, hopelessly in love. Phil, these are the things I never had the courage to say. I love the way you half snore in your sleep. And the way you managed to break the mugs whilst bringing me water. You’re obsession with Death Note and Japanese anime that we couldn’t understand. The way you’d tickle my neck just because you knew I could freak out.

Phil, I miss you.

Okay, bye.

Y/N.”

----

“Yep, he should come in here with a girl in like ten minutes. If you could give him these with the drink, that would be great. It’s a work celebration thing, I’ve been sent to make sure it goes smoothly.” I lie to the lady at the Starbucks counter.

“Okay, sounds exciting! I’ll make sure he gets this.” She sends me off with my Vanilla Crème to sit in the corner and overlook the whole situation. A large burgundy trench coat covers my body and a black fedora, along with a stylish pair of sunglasses, shelters my face.

Right on time, Phil walks in – alone. The cashier looks at me and I instantly nod, telling her to commence with the plan anyway.

“No need to order, Sir. It’s on the house, congrats on being a great employee!” A confused Phil graciously accepts the drink and sits on the table opposite mine. He’s been crying, I can see.

Cautiously, he opens the letter and reads. By the end, he looks startled. What have I done? Sluggishly, a smile forms on his face.

“Y/N?” He calls out to me.

“Yes, Phil?” He gets up and strolls towards me with his hands in his pockets.

“I dumped her as she cheated on me. Now, I realise just what you went through. And I was wondering if…umm…” He scratches his head. I lean forward and kiss him.

“I’m so sorry.” I say, pulling away and composing myself. “It’s been hard being alone, I guess. I just…”

“I miss you, Y/N. I love you…I need you.” My heart pounds, and it feels like the bike has hit my throat again. Except this time, I understand that the bike represents not only sadness, but utter happiness.

“I…Phil, I need you too. But only on one condition, you never leave me again…”

“I promise.”