Never Be Mine - Part 5

Primark wasn't very fun. I was shoved into various clothes that were a bit too tight for me because I don't really fit the 'skinny girl' role, so everything looked a little odd around my waist. It wasn't pleasant. But after who knows how long exploring, we managed to find a few tops that were flattering and actually looked half decent. It felt nice to actually fit in something.
'Put on the grey one!' Bianca calls. It takes a lot of manoeuvring but I manage to pull it over my shoulders in only a few minutes, very positive. It's sort of a scoop neck jumper in that really nice whitewashed grey kind of colour, the sort which you often find on jeans. It sits tight on my wrists which frustrates me a bit as I can't push the sleeves over my arms, as I normally would. She gawks at me and just smiles, nodding her head sillily like a dog.
'You like it?' I hope so, I like it.
'I. Love. It. And he will too! Right, come on! We're going for coffee!'
'But I don't like coffee! And we've got to get to lessons-' I plead, knowing that if I stop I'll be late for another lecture. I've been late so many times recently, I wouldn't be surprised if they slid a note under our door telling me that I've been kicked out of school.
'Forget that, lessons were cancelled after half the class- and teachers - came down with some kind of 'bug'. Basically, they're all hung over.' Even the teachers? I want to ask, but she's already grabbed her purse and dragged me out the door. I give in and slip down the stairs, trying not to disturb anyone who is taking a well-deserved nap.
We get to the coffee shop and see that beautiful barista. She serves us. Bianca orders a caramel hot chocolate for me. I keep my head down and try not to smile. Ha. He's mine now. Ha. Ha. Ha. HA.
She gives us our drinks with a fake smile and we go and sit in a corner on some super comfy, colourful cube chairs. We chatter for a few minutes before Bianca lifts her eyebrows and glances behind me. I turn around and see Dan. He looks so good, but he's not looking at the Barista. He's looking at me. As soon as he catches my eye, he breaks out into a huge grin and walks over to us.
'Mind if I sit?'
'No problem,' Bianca says humbly. 'You can have my seat, I was just about to go to class. Literally the only one that hasn't been cancelled.' Dan smiles and thanks her, to which she simply replies: 'Bye, Y/N.' And blows me a kiss. She takes her coffee and brushes my shoulder as she walks past.
'What are you drinking?' Dan falls into conversation so smoothly that it's almost discerning, I don't really like it, but I love it all the same.
'Just a hot chocolate. Do you want me to get you something?' I didn't pay for my drink, the least I can do is buy a drink for someone else. Dan glances behind me and watches the Barista. I follow his path of sight and see her wink, leaning over a table she's cleaning nearby really seductively. Ew. Dan shakes his head and looks back at me.
'No thanks, I'll take a sip of yours though?'
'Yeah, sure.' I nod. I don't like being here while she's here. It makes me feel so inadequate. My confidence lacks on a good day, anyway, it's just worse having her here to compare myself to. Reaching out, I offer the cup to Dan. As he takes it, his fingers brush mine. He takes a small gulp and passes it back to me with a thank you, and we fall into a semi-awkward silence.
'So, about the party-'
'I know,' I say without even thinking. I knew he'd mention this. 'Sorry about that. I don't even know what was happening. I should have just stayed out the way-' he leans forward and kisses me gently, a hot breath of air flushing my face pink. He puts my free hand between his own, staying close to me.
'Thank you.' All I can think is question marks. Why? What? When? What? What? Why? Huh?
'What for?' I finally manage to voice.
'I enjoyed it. There's another party soon, so if you want to go with, um-' he pulls at the neck of his shirt and pulls it out slowly, pulling it away from his chest. 'Go with me? You can wear anything - what your wearing now would be perfect - and it's more of a cliche party with games and stuff, but if you're up for it?'
'Yeah, I'd like that.'