nineteen

| recovery (n): a return to normal state of health, mind, or strength |

FREYA MIKAELSON SLOWLY closed the bedroom door behind her, biting her lip in concern as she did so. She wasn't exactly surprised when her half-brother was already waiting outside the room, his face full of worry which he tried and failed to hide.

"How is she?" He asked, and Freya sighed as she looked at him. She had been checking in on Mercy for the past few days, and nothing had really changed. The girl had been unconscious through it all, looking skinny and malnourished but otherwise healthy—physically at least. However, Klaus was constantly asking Freya to do more and more wellness checks.

The witch couldn't help the somewhat sad tone in her voice. "She's exhausted," she explained. "Her body seems to be completely healed, but she might still sleep for another day or two."

"Why? Is something wrong?" Klaus asked, walking side by side with Freya as they strolled down the halls of the Abattoir. After everything had happened with Mercy and Hayley and Hope, the Mikaelson family was on edge, expecting another attack by the vampires—or even Elijah. Klaus was more paranoid then ever, and it was slowly getting on Freya's nerves as she turned toward him.

"Like I said, she's exhausted," Freya repeated. "She's perfectly healthy, and honestly, I think she's still sleeping because this is the only time she's been able to rest in the past week." She stopped walking, placing her hand on Klaus's arm to bring him to a halt as well. "She'll be fine, Klaus. She just needs a little time to herself."

Klaus released a breath of air that he hadn't realized he'd been holding on to, feeling a little lighter now that Freya reassured him of his worries. Despite that, there was still a foreboding feeling stifling in his chest that made him feel stiff, tight with concern and wondering if Mercy would awake at all. Freya always told him she would, but Mercy had been asleep much longer than he expected.

New Orleans wasn't waiting for Mercy to wake, already muttering with rumors about how the Queen of Alphas made a martyr out of Greta—something that irked Klaus more than anything. It seemed as if the vampires were forgetting that the only reason Mercy retaliated was because she was attacked first, not to mention the violence against Hayley. Klaus was already expecting an attack against his family, and he was already making plans to snuf it out.

Besides, the wolves in the bayou were ready to strike as well.

"Klaus," Freya's voice interrupted his inner thoughts, and he looked up to see her nodding to the side. He turned in the direction to see Tokala approaching, and the hybrid did nothing to hide his irritation. The wolf boy was infuriatingly always around, and without Mercy there to defend Tokala, Klaus had no reason to bare his incessant worrying about Mercy's wellbeing. There was a part of him that appreciated the boy's concern—knowing that the emotion was genuine—but the protective part of himself denied any approval to show.