twenty-five

| recompense (v): make amends to someone for loss or harm suffered; compensate |

   THE MIKAELSONS HAD rushed to the Abattoir, trying to avoid the raging fires and mourning vampires; the entire city was drenched in chaos, and Klaus knew that if Mercy so wished to do so, she could very well have done worse. He'd seen her fighting before he was forced into the Chambre de Chasse, and she had gotten better in such a short amount of time. She also seemed to be learning from a different source, and he assumed it to be the First Powers and the wolf ancestors. Unfortunately, he couldn't shield Mercy from them quite as easily as physical enemies.

"What are you thinking?" Hayley asked from beside him as they marched into their old home. They knew that Hope must be here—Freya too—and Hayley was already prepared to go check up on her daughter, but she wanted to make sure that they found Mercy quickly. She didn't want her other daughter to be out in the city right now, unprotected and testing the vampires' limitations. She didn't know how they would react to Mercy's transgressions, but she knew it wouldn't be pretty. She didn't doubt that violence would follow, but despite her own opinions on Mercy's actions, she wouldn't hesitate to protect her from any of the vampires in question.

Klaus pursed his lips tightly, but his eyes shot to Freya's—she had just walked into the courtyard, glancing at her half-brother with wariness due to how their last meeting went. He ignored his remaining siblings to approach her, pulling the witch to the side and away from the others for a moment. His older sister looked at him in confusion, but allowed him to speak before she made any comments.

"I need you to make something for me," he began, seeing Freya's expression turn even more perplexed. "Something similar to the magical chains my mother once used on you."

Freya blinked, stepping back with a quick shake of her head. "You know this is only going to make her angrier," she warned, but Klaus didn't care about that at the moment. All he cared about was making sure that he could have an actual conversation with his daughter without her running off and getting herself into more trouble.

"She'll get over it," he replied bitterly. "Now, will you do this or not?"

Freya stared at him for a long moment, but she eventually nodded her assent. "I will," she answered. "Let me check up on Keelin really fast, and then I'll get started on it."

Klaus wanted to say forget about Keelin, but he knew that it wouldn't exactly be helpful after the last time he brought the werewolf girl into discussion with his sister. He still didn't trust Freya completely after she allowed Hope to make such a stupid decision, but he knew that she would do this—if not for himself personally, then to get back on his good side after the debacle in the Chambre de Chasse

"Klaus," Hayley's voice had an edge to it as he turned toward her, raising an eyebrow. "What are you planning?"

"Nothing that you need to worry yourself over," he said with a small smirk, and Hayley narrowed her eyes dangerously at him.