forty-six

| honor (n): adherence to what is right or to a conventional standard of conduct |

   MERCY WISHED THAT she didn't have to do this. She wished that he had just shown up on his own, without any persuasion on her part. She wanted this to be his choice, not hers. She wanted this to be an act done on his own consciousness, not one she had to pry out of him. She didn't want to come begging at his feet, but she also knew she wouldn't feel complete without him there, and after last night—with her forgiveness—she had hoped that he wouldn't leave town so quickly.

She was wrong.

After asking around some of Greta's vampires that had rejoined Marcel's reign—in fear of Mercy's wrath—Tokala managed to find out that her uncle was leaving town that very night. He planned to go far away, and Mercy left the sneering vampires as quickly as they got there, intending to stop him before he got too far.

She worried her lip between her teeth, but the anxiety that so often crippled her mind was not nearly as awful as it usually was.

Don't fret too much.

He doesn't want to be there. Let him go.

We'll find him.

Mercy huffed at the opposing views of the First Powers, noticing as the day went on that Keokuk was a pessimist, Nahele was an optimist, and Tayen seemed as confused and clueless as anyone she'd ever met—coupled with a few instances of superb wisdom. Despite being more connected to them, she felt she was as lost as ever when it came to understanding their personalities.

Hey! You're no walk in the park either.

Mercy sighed louder at the intrusion, knowing it would get annoying all too quickly.

"Hey," Tokala began softly, mistaking her annoyance for frustration. "We'll find him."

Mercy nodded silently, not looking at him. Instead, she was looking at the building they stood in front of, the one that Greta's traitorous lackeys lead them to. She scrunched her nose, not excited about going into the run-down building; but, if it meant she would find who she was looking for, then she better just deal with the state of the place.

Finally turning to Tokala, she gave him a small smile. He sighed, but understood. "I'll wait for you here," he said, gesturing to a nearby bench just off the street. She nodded, happy that he hadn't fought her. She figured it would be best to do this part alone.

Hesitantly walking forward, she entered into the grounds, stepping underneath the arched ceilings. She could see ruined piles having fallen from their high railings: pieces of plaster and iron that were surely a health code violation if she ever saw one. She noticed rusted hinges on the doors—ones that were a pain to push open. She noticed that the entire place was empty...all except for one other person.