twenty-seven

| trust (n): firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something |

   JORDYN SHOVED NIK into the room without pretense, closing the door tightly to drown out any noise that could infiltrate their small solace. She could tell that he was practically seconds away from imploding after the excruciating conversation he'd shared with Mercy. Jordyn had been watching from the top balcony as he baited his daughter and she baited him—an endless cycle that the woman had seen many times before when she was in California. Only now was the first time she was genuinely worried; never before had the arguments between the father and daughter been so hateful. Never before had Jordyn seen Klaus approaching his daughter with a level of dangerousness and callousness that she didn't want to stick around to see.

She managed to snap him out of his aggression before he could do anything that he would eventually regret, but she knew that wouldn't be the end of it. She knew that the hybrid was burning up with frustration at his inability to magically fix everything in his family, and the fresh annoyance at his siblings being reunited under one roof again was not lost on her either. The second she closed the door behind her, he was whirling toward her, eyes blazing.

"This is not my fault," he defended immediately, and Jordyn rolled her eyes at his childish petulance.

"Right, like I haven't heard that a hundred times before," she replied sarcastically, holding up a finger when he tried to speak again. "And yes, from both you and your daughter. Both of you can be stubborn assholes when you want to be."

He seemed somewhat taken aback by her words, and she smirked a little, expecting the reaction he was giving to her. She needed him to calm down, and one of the best ways to catch the infamous hybrid off guard enough to pause in his vindictive ways and see sense was calling him names—especially when coming from her. He tilted his head at her, pursing his lips as he sighed deeply; the action only made Jordyn smirk further.

"What do you suggest?" He asked her bluntly, but she only rolled her eyes again, brushing past him and further into the bedroom to sit on the bed, facing him.

"Well, firstly," she began with a condescending tone, sending a pointed look at the man. "Those little bracelets on Mercy's wrists? Probably not the best idea if you wanted her to trust you with all her secrets." She shrugged as if it were obvious, watching as Klaus looked to the ground. She knew he was probably thinking of what his daughter said to him, about repeating his own parents' actions with her. As a result, her voice was a little softer when she continued. "Not to mention, Mercy hates being backed into a corner, and that's exactly what you did. Personally, I didn't expect anything less than absolute hostility from her, and I'm confused as to why you were expecting anything different."

Her words were true—they both knew that—but her voice and eyes were gentle, encouraging him to speak freely with her about what he was thinking when going into this scenario. She had assumptions of what was going through his mind, but she knew to never be too confident when it came to the man she cared deeply for. He was as complex as a philosophical theory that wasn't meant to be solved, and Jordyn understood that he might not confide in her about this. However, he seemed particularly stressed, so it didn't take long for him to start rambling.